Chapter Forty One - A City in Flames

Suggested Music – Avengers Endgame Soundtrack (No Trust)

They say war is hell. A common saying among soldiers, yet also one of contradiction. True, the horrors of war bring out the worst in some people. Acts of pure evil performed under the guise of patriotism and called heroism. War made people betray themselves, but it was also a proving. Sometimes, the trials and tribulations of conflict brought about the best people. Adversity breeding valour. This meant that in reality, war was more like purgatory, a proving ground where men and women prove which afterlife they are worthy of.

Of course, it didn't really matter either way. War was a terrible thing all the same, but when you looked back on how you used to think before meeting Olivia and compared it to your mindset now. Well it certainly looked as if war had turned you into a better person. But that was little comfort now. The time had finally come to face the remnants of Talon head on, and thus confront the subject of your nightmares.

You stepped forwards, finding yourself in a large room with an enormous circular machine ahead of you, Satya's new teleport. It was around five times larger than her normal model, and the nervous expression on her face did not fill you with confidence. But it was too late to turn back now. Your friends at Overwatch had gathered around the device to wish you good luck and say their goodbyes, no doubt many of them reckoned they wouldn't see you again. Perhaps they were right. Jack was the first to greet you.

"I uh...I've sent out a signal to the other members of Overwatch, those who're still alive anyway. I mentioned that this was our darkest hour...hopefully some of them will turn up. In the meantime, I promise we'll find a way to back you up" he remarked, feeling visibly uncomfortable at the notion of staying away from the fight.

"I'm sure you will...I'll be sure to give Maximilien your regards" you replied, glancing down at your holstered pistol.

Jack nodded, before gritting his teeth and placing a hand on your shoulder.

"Listen, Y/N...when you first arrived, I was suspicious of you. I thought you were a Talon spy and that you'd betray us the first chance you got. I have never been happier to be wrong...you're one of the good ones" he stated, shaking your hand firmly.

You smiled.

"Coming from you that means a lot...I'll see you on the far side" you remarked, moving on towards the next person.

Jesse gave you a small smile, silently tipping his hat towards you. He did not say a goodbye because he believed he'd see you again. You hoped he was right. As you limped forwards, you were suddenly engulfed in a tight hug. Lena.

"Do not die out there, luv. I'll kill you if you do" she commented, causing you to smile.

She never really made sense. While you were held in place by the hug, Genji stepped up with a nod.

"Good luck, my friend. I know you will survive...it's in your nature" he stated.

You gave him a hopeful nod, before separating from Lena.

"Thank you, both of you. I'm sure I'll see you out there in battle...keep yourselves safe" you replied.

Then came Angela, who gave a worried look as she saw your fragile state. You smiled knowingly, handing her your cane, and taking your first tentative steps without it. Walking had never been so difficult, but somehow desperation and determination kept you on your feet. Angela stepped forward and injected a yellow liquid into your arm which seemed to instantly numb the pain.

"This is a pain suppressant...I only have one more. Take it...and use it wisely. Good luck" she commented, handing you a small syringe which you quickly pocketed.