Chapter Twelve - Successful Risks

Several days had passed since your return from India, and unsurprisingly you had not yet been trusted with a second mission. Everybody at Talon remained suspicious of your motives, and since you received dirty glares whenever you walked down a corridor, you had tended to keep to yourself. Sombra was in a much happier mood now after recovering from the faceoff with Maximilien, and she was back to her usual flirtatious self.

Personally, you had spent your free time trying to get in shape for whatever Talon three at you next. And of course, your hacker friend was always nearby, commenting on your physique with a giggle. You hardly minded.

In the meantime, she had kept herself busy by probing low-level files, seeing if she could uncover any small amounts of information on something important. She had to be careful though, if Talon became alerted to her hacking then she'd be done for, so she only scoured the files which were barely encrypted.

Even now, as you laid in a white vest and black shorts doing push-ups on the floor, she sat at her desk, humming to herself as she made decrypting terrorist intelligence look easy. You couldn't tell what tune she was humming, but she seemed as if she was in a world of her own. She was so absorbed in her own task that she wasn't watching you, for once. But suddenly she stopped, frowning confusedly as if she'd read something wrong.

"Huh...hey, Y/N. Come and take a look at this!" she exclaimed.

You groaned as you stood up, brushing yourself down and walking up to her. Placing a hand on her shoulder, you stared over her head and read the screen.

"Zenyatta? I recognise that name...he was mentioned in that council meeting a few days ago, I think. Some Shambali monk who's speaking out against Talon, right?" you questioned, vaguely remembering the name.

"Yeah, but he's not just a member of the Shambali, he used to be part of Overwatch. There are rumours that he's still in contact with them today. Anyway, look what the screen says!" Sombra replied, drawing your attention to a particular paragraph.

You read through it silently several times, shaking your head in confusion.

"Is this official-looking document supposed to mean something to me?" you asked, shrugging your shoulders with a sigh, and receiving an eye roll from Sombra.

"Amelie was assigned to kill him, remember? This is her mission file...where she's to position herself, how she's supposed to kill him, all of it. If we quietly leak this to the authorities in London, they'll be able to keep the monk safe" she explained, causing you to slow nod your head, impressed with her skill.

"Right...but we're trying to earn trust, aren't we? Won't this make Talon even more suspicious of us?" you questioned.

You were in no rush to earn another reprimand from Maximilien, especially one which would be potentially fatal.

"Don't worry, I can loop the transmission through the Talon public server. They'll obviously suspect me because of my natural genius, but they also think they've disabled my computer. This should work, Y/N" Sombra answered, grinning at her own self-flattery.

But despite her confidence, she still looked to your reaction before proceeding.

"I trust you...if you think this'll save his life then go ahead, our first hit on Talon" you replied with a nod of your head.

Wisely, you decided to keep your partial reluctance about saving an omnic's life to yourself. You supposed this 'Zenyatta' had done nothing to you personally but seeing so much death at the hands of the omnics in the war had more than changed your view of them. They were machines, their crude emotions dictated by programming rather than freewill. Still, the monk seemed popular enough.