Chapter Thirty Nine - Omnium

The shocking revelation about New York had brought all of Overwatch together, or at least all of those who still remained. Together, you sat in a meeting room, each of you proposing a number of ideas both on how to enter the city and how to defeat the omnic army. So far, nothing had come of these talks, but all of that was about to change.

"Hang on...I think I've got an idea...if Talon can take advantage of global corporations, why can't we?" Lúcio suggested, there was little response.

At this point, the room seemed pretty devoid of hope, except, of course, for Lena's boundless optimism.

"What do you mean, luv?" she questioned.

Lúcio skated around the table, tapping on a keyboard, and bringing up the hologram display.

"Y/N and I first met in Utopaea when I was investigating the Vishkar Corporation. It turns out that Talon was funding their experiments in return for omnic salvage. Vishkar are huge on hard-light tech, everyone knows that. But they've also made some advancements in teleportation" the DJ explained in response.

"That's true...I've spoken with Satya Vaswani, or Symmetra, in the past and she has been the main force driving that research forwards. You're suggesting I contact her?" Winston added, causing Lúcio to nod his head enthusiastically.

"Wait a second. Alright, let's pretend that, somehow, we do manage to teleport ourselves inside New York, and that's crazy enough on its own. What then? What's our plan?" you questioned.

At the moment, this whole scenario seemed like a fantasy. Teleport into a war-torn city and take on an entire army? Without the support of the Indians and the Russians, it was suicide. The room went silent as everyone listened to your realism, and again melancholy seemed to fall over everyone.

That was until a certain Bastion piped up from the corner, speaking in a series of beeps that you could not comprehend. Fortunately, Winston could.

"You're certain? Now that is interesting...Bastion says that there is a piece of technology called an omnic control chip which could help turn the tide. Omnics should have freewill by design, so presumably Maximilien has linked them into a network within which he is the central node. This chip, supposedly, should disable the node, and thereby temporarily disable the army" he explained.

"And the chip would be administered...how? Surely you would need to manually plug it into Maximilien himself..." Angela suggested, raising a valid hole in the plan.

"Indeed...it is not perfect, but we must grasp all advantages that we can find" Winston remarked in response.

Everybody quietly considered his words for a moment, and you waited silently for somebody to come up with a problem. Overwatch did, after all, seem to be more adept at finding problems than solutions most of the time.

"Alright...what then? We need something better than temporarily..." Jack commented.

This was true, if the omnics simply rebooted a minute after this chip was implanted then there was not much point.

"Without the influence of Maximilien, the omnics would once again possess freewill. They would not be slaves to his desires, I estimate most would lower their weapons for good" Zenyatta stated.

"Yeah? And what if they don't? We're talking about omnics who have been offline since the Crisis, the last time they had freewill they wanted to kill humanity. What's changed? I'm sorry, Zenyatta, I know some of your kind are good, but I've fought them before...if this plan fails then all you'll do is take away their orders. We'll still have a huge problem on our hands" you countered, causing Jack to nod his head in agreement.