Chapter Four - Initiation

Once you were out of sight of Miami and over international waters, Sombra quickly deactivated the active camouflage, seeing no point in wasting valuable electricity. She also closed the rear doors, claiming that you couldn't have any hints as to the location of the Overwatch base until they knew they could trust you. Also, there was a draught.

Sombra set the dropship onto an autopilot mode, moving to sit across from you in the passenger bay, though she seemed a lot quieter than before, a sad look etched across her face.

"Something wrong? You seem a little quiet" you commented, hoping to strike up a conversation.

This had the potential to be the first time the two of you could talk about something that wasn't all doom and gloom, something normal, like shared hobbies and interests or something. After all, half of the reason you were doing this was her, you wanted to get to know her.

"Ah...nothing for you to worry about, Y/N. La misma vieja mierda..." she replied, muttering that final part in Spanish as if she didn't want you to understand her.

You sighed a little, irritated by your inability to get her to open up. You supposed it was still early days, you had only met a couple of days ago.

"Fair enough, I won't pry. You know, back when I was in the military, we used to trade stories on longer trips" you suggested, a look of hope on your face.

Sombra looked up and chuckled a little, her face twisting into a strangely bitter look.

"I don't think you'd want to hear any of my stories, Y/N. They're no fairy tales...and I've already read every bit of your file that wasn't covered in black ink" she remarked, immediately causing you to wonder just how much she knew.

Not Miami...surely.

"Okay...not stories. What do you do for fun? When you're not saving the world?" you asked with a small smile.

It was not returned.

"For fun? I hack governments, manipulate stocks and leak trade deals..." the hacker answered casually, staring at the floor.

She wasn't making this easy.

"Oh...huh...I usually go surfing, maybe hit the nightclubs. That sort of thing" you said, feeling more than a little inadequate about your own hobbies now.

"Lo siento. I know I'm not being as talkative as you'd like, I just...it's..." Sombra began, tailing off with a strange expression.

"What's the matter? Maybe it's something I can help with" you offered, causing her to smile at you enigmatically.

She sat in silence for a moment before answering.

"I'm just tired, that's all. But I appreciate the offer...what else do you do for fun?" the hacker asked, and finally you felt as if the conversation was going somewhere.

Alright Y/N; don't screw it up.

"I'm not sure...I watch a lot of movies when I'm at home" you stated, unsure what else to say.

It wasn't as if you led a particularly exciting life, especially compared to a master hacker.

"Hm, test for you. See how much we have in common. Which movies?" Sombra questioned, tilting her head.

You considered for a moment, trying to imagine what sort of films someone like her would enjoy, and if you liked them too. Nothing came to mind, and so you chose to be honest instead.