Chapter Thirty Eight - Recovery

Suggested Music – Halo Lone Wolf

You could not mark exactly when you had fallen unconscious. You remembered killing Akande, walking away with Olivia at your side. There were also blurred memories of reuniting with Jack and the others, being told that the fight was over.

After that, you supposed your many injuries had driven you to sleep. Imprisonment by Moira, leaping aboard a shuttle, being beaten half to death by Akande and then getting shrapnel through your leg. It all took its toll. Several days had passed since then, though you did not know exactly how many.

Finally, you awoke to find yourself laid in a soft white bed, attached to a cardiogram and a drip. You slowly and painfully turned your head to see Olivia at your side, asleep with her leant down in your lap. Knowing her, she had not left your side the entire time. As you took a slow and deep breath, you winced with pain, something was definitely wrong with your lungs. Your sudden movement awoke Olivia, who gradually looked up at you with sleepy eyes.

"Mi amor..." she said softly.

You smiled down at her, placing your hand in hers and leaning back into your pillow with a sigh.

"We survived..." you said in realisation.

That was a miracle, there were no two ways about it. You had entered that battle, certain that you wouldn't live to see another day. And here you were, both of you, alive and well.

"Sí...barely...but we did. And Akande is dead...dead and gone..." Olivia replied, sitting up on her chair and yawning.

"Where are we?" you questioned, glancing around at your surroundings.

Everything was bright white, and dozens of stretchers lined the walls.

"Watchpoint Gibraltar, medical ward. Angela has just slipped out for a moment..." the hacker explained.

"And...the omnics...what happened to the omnics?" you asked, coughing as you struggled to breathe.

Olivia hurriedly passed you a glass of water, watching you drink it with a sigh.

"We...don't know. Does it matter, Y/N? Akande is dead...Talon is gone" she responded, inwardly knowing full well how you would react.

"But...Maximilien and Gabriel are still out there. They could kill thousands...the war" you stuttered.

"My war ended with Akande. Y/N please...just come with me. We were so lucky to survive...it was a miracle. Don't waste it...we've done more than enough, both of us..." Olivia replied, taking your hand, and gripping it tightly.

"I want to...there's nothing I want more than to run away with you..." you admitted with a pained breath.

"Then do it...please..." she begged.

Although deep down inside, she already knew that you could not. It wasn't your nature.

"I can't...you made me a better person...and now I can't just leave. What will you do now?" you asked in response.

"I won't watch you kill yourself...I can't. I told you right at the start, Y/N. Attachment is dangerous, Talon uses it against you...and here we are. I can't let you cripple me..." Olivia answered with a quiet sob.

You nodded your head with a deep breath.

"If I survive...I'll look for you...I promise..." you stated, a tear rolling down your cheek.

She stepped away, backing out of the room.

"I hope you get the chance..." she whispered, before leaving.