Tomorrow

Word count: 725

A quiet knock at the door wasn't enough to wake you, nor was a slightly louder knock, but the light of a candle seeping through the crack in the door? Still not enough, it appears that demonically induced sleep is pretty deep.

It wasn't until a familiar hand on your shoulder gently shook you that your eyes fluttered open. "Huh?"

"I couldn't sleep."

You needn't unsquint your eyes to recognize Ciel when you heard him, but nevertheless, you let your eyes adjust to the light of his handle, now set on your side table, and sat up a little. He wore a similar dressing gown to yours, but in a rich blue. How fitting.

"How'd you find my room? I couldn't even find it after dinner."

"I asked around," he shrugged, "Demons don't really need sleep, rooms are just soundproof, seems like."

"So what's up?" You patted the bed next to you for him to sit down. "Nerves for tomorrow?"

"You could say that."

"Yeah," you thought back to your conversation with Charles. "Me too."

"My bed's too big," he muttered, fiddling with his family ring he somehow still had. "Too much space, and the sheets are cold."

"Awe," you croned, laying a hand on his knee. "Does someone miss their cuddle buddy?"

"Not anymore, apparently," he groaned, standing up slow enough for you to grab his down. "It's silly really, needing someone with me to sleep. Childish."

"I was only asleep because of Charles' help," you chuckled, "I can't say much."

"May I?" He gestured to the bit of empty bed beside you sheepishly. "Unless... you'd rather a night away from me?"

Rolling your eyes, you slid over and pulled him down to lay beside you. "There isn't anyone else I'd rather share my bed with."

Snuggled there, up to him, you'd never exactly noticed how warm your cheeks got until his hand rested on your bicep. The thump thump thump of his heart under your ear, warmth flooding your senses. It felt, right, being here with him. Maybe saying something tomorrow could mess up what you have now, but what if it didn't? What if it made "what you have" bloom into something more, something greater?

Though now, that's not what swam the rivers of your mind.

***

Ciel was certain you'd soon tease him for how heavy his heart beat, but then again, it always beat that way when you were near. Not a flutter, or a dance, nor hammering increasingly fast. No, his heart beat out a heavy, firm rhythm, one he could feel in his throat, in his toes.

A strong thump that reminded him how full he felt around you, how utterly complete you made him feel. The feeling he harbored for you so all consuming that it seemed to swell his very heart with emotion.

His breath hitched, unnoticeable, as your fingers slid across his clothed stomach to further ensnare him within your hold. It was safety, comfort, like being in a warm blanket at the end of a long day. It was thrilling, unexpected, took his breath away in every perfectly frightening way. You were contradicting, intricate, and he longed to learn each new detail.

For now though, he contented himself with drawing squiggles on your arm with the tips of his fingers.

***

"A kiss to dream on?" You hummed quietly after a moment. "It's been too long."

"It's been barely a day," Ciel softly chuckled.

"Exactly."

"Get up here."

And so you did. It wasn't passionate, or particularly extraordinairy, it didn't need to be. It was unspoken, unshared, unread. It wasn't ready to be understood. You enjoyed all of him that you let yourself, and he savored all you allowed him.

"Getting better every day," you complimented before settling back into his side.

"I get lots of practice," Ciel hummed, closing his eyes and trying not to focus on the thruming of his heart. "Practice makes perfect."

"I don't think you're quite there yet."

Ciel, on the verge of pleasant and comfortable dreams, snuggled into the bed a little closer, his arm pulling you just another hair closer. "Then you'll have to help me practice 'til I am."

You felt his breathing even and slow, the familiar feeling of a sleeping Ciel against you. You gently pressed a kiss to his chest, a silent promise.

Tomorrow then.