56

MARCH — THE AMO — 8:13 AM

Travers was more furious than Michael had ever seen him. He was a ticking time bomb, stomping and yelling in his office. He had already nearly strangled two assistants to death when they delivered bad news. 2832 had escaped their grasp too many times, and if anything, she was a symbol for the rebellion.

It was also an embarrassment for the AMO, that a group of young adults had outsmarted them not once, but many times. The FBI was getting irritable, and Travers was worried the AMO would get absorbed.

Michael was still awaiting his scolding from Travers. Once they realized that a teleporter had jumped in and grabbed their prisoners, he instantly knew he'd be the one to blame. The entire thing had happened so quickly that he hadn't had time to sense the magic in the room and snuff it out. He knew that wouldn't matter to Travers, however.

He had changed out of his suit and into something for casual—a white shirt with a blue open button-up and some jeans. He knew what he was facing. Travers would scream at him and threaten to kill him, then realize how much Michael was needed if they planned on taking down these rebels.

So, all things considered, Michael was feeling quite calm.

The door opened and a meek man ran out, clutching unorganized papers with his hair in a mess. "Michael. Now," Travers commanded, his voice booming and reverberating out of his office and into the hall threateningly.

Michael walked inside and stood in front of his desk, hands clasped behind his back. "I would like for you to explain to me why you failed to do anything when 2832 escaped with her friends."

"The teleporter was in and out in milliseconds," Michael defended himself. "The lights were out. Nobody knew what was happening. This wasn't my fault." He then added after some afterthought, "If anything, it's those who caught Pepper Telloh and failed to search the room for Marcus Yild."

"In any case, you didn't do your job, Michael," Travers seethed. "And I'm beginning to think you did it on purpose."

Michael took a step back then narrowed his eyes. "Are you kidding me?"

"You've shown rebellious behaviour recently," Travers stated, standing up and leaning forward on his desk. "Keeping 2832 for longer than we wanted, buying supernaturals, including a zero, without telling us... May I remind you of your brother, before you jump ship?"

"That's exactly why I wouldn't betray you," Michael said. "As much as I hate working for you, my loyalties lie with you, solely because you have Casper."

"Good to know you remember," he said. "Because I would hate it if something happened to him."

Michael sighed and looked down. He forced the anger down, and tried to hide the sadness in his voice. "Can I just see him?"

"That wasn't apart of our deal," Travers replied, strictly, but a little calmer. "But if this all works out, and you help us kill off these pesky teenagers, I'll consider it."

"Fine. Deal."

MARCH — THE APARTMENT — 3:53 AM

Morgan panted as she woke up. She was covered with sweat, her covers twisted around her legs. She took deep breaths and tried to calm her heartbeat. It was just a nightmare. Leonard wasn't there, and wouldn't be there again.

She hated the fact that he plagued her nights. It made it seem like he still had control over her, which was the thing she wanted the least.

She quietly got out of her makeshift bed on the floor. Pepper and Monica were sleeping on the ground, and she didn't want to wake them. Luckily, she hadn't been screaming in her sleep.

She left the room and went to the bathroom. She started the shower—her third one since she arrived at their apartment yesterday—and stepped inside, turning it to the cold side. She closed her eyes and let the water swim down her body and drench her hair. It stung a little on the whip wounds on her back, which had been deep and thus were still healing. Still, however, the shower did little to make her feel anymore clean or better.

Morgan turned the shower off and leaned her head on the wall of the shower, breathing deeply. Everything that had happened was so overwhelming. Learning that Joey was alive, being tortured and almost killed, discovering Casper was without any doubt dead, and being reunited with her friends? It was too much for her. Positive or negative—it didn't matter. It all mixed together at the end of the day, becoming too much informations or her mind to handle.

She stepped out of the shower and wrapped her towel around her. She used a towel to clear the fog off the mirror and looked at herself. Her wet, brown hair was a couple inches away from elbow length, making its way back to the long locks she had before everything happened. She supposed enhanced healing sped up hair growth, too. Her dark blue eyes looked softer compared to the cold, hardness they possessed during her time at the AMO. Any facial bruises or cuts had disappeared, but it didn't mean she didn't remember them.

One strap down on her wrist, Leonard watching patiently as she resisted. The other was easier to attach.

She shook her head, trying not to relive the memories. She changed back into the pyjamas she had borrowed from Monica and left the bathroom. There, standing at the kitchen, was Joey, sipping a fresh cup of milk.

"Did I wake you?" She asked.

He snorted. "Hardly. I don't really sleep much nowadays." He looked over at her. "I think we're both up for the same reason."

She hesitated, then walked over and sat down. "I don't know what to do. I've never felt so powerless before. It's like they have a grip on me that I can't shake off: a permanent stamp in my subconscious."

"Facing death in the face would leave anyone shaken up," he assured. "In the Death Stall, I thought I was really dying. After a few seconds, I accepted it. That left me messed up for some time. I can imagine it's even worse for you."

"But it gets better?" She guessed, skeptically.

He looked at her, deadpan. "Do you want the truth or something that will make you feel better?"

"The truth."

"I don't wake up screaming anymore," Joey said, thoughtfully. "That doesn't mean I don't have dreams about the lab and that gas chamber anymore, though. I guess I can just kind of deal better now. Honestly, it never really gets easier. But if anyone can get back to a somewhat normal life, it's you, Morgan. You're the strongest person I know. Not just anyone can get through the ASTs and still be human."

"Is that what the end goal here is?" She mused, humourlessly. "To live normally?"

"Ideally," he said, then studied her expression. "But that's not really what you want."

She exhaled. "I do want a normal life. But I don't think a normal life includes having magic powers."

"If all ends well, any SN will be able to live like everyone else."

She closed her eyes, getting frustrated. "Joey, even if that became true, these powers are just a reminder of everything. So, if we do win, I want Siphon to take away my powers."