41

FEBRUARY — THE AMO — 11:32

2832 leaned against the wall of her cell. How long has it been? An hour? Maybe two?

She tried not to let the walls bother her. The way they confined her, similar to the lab. But these were dingy and black, not white. Not white, not white.

She began to feel uncomfortable. God, what was wrong with her? She had been fine when Rylie kidnapped her. Aside from fighting pure boredom, she didn't feel this odd feeling in her stomach. Maybe it was because she could escape anytime. But she could escape now. No, wait.

Then when she was in Siphon's basement. She was trapped there, too. But she wasn't alone. At least not for long, as Alexis and the boy arrived soon after and she had slept a lot of the time.

Drip.

Her eyes widened as she blinked, and she was suddenly standing near the wall in her room in the lab. The queen bed, the security camera in the corner, the chair in front of the bed with its electricity-filled restraints. The only thing not so purely white was the blood stain on her chair and the floor underneath it from where they had sliced open her arm.

Drip.

No, she wasn't there. She wasn't. She wouldn't let herself go back there. She was in the AMO, which wasn't much better, but at least she'd die soon. She wasn't going back to the training. The electricity, the whips, the days of starvation as punishment and when she was about to die, they'd only bring her back for more pain.

Drip.

God, the sound annoyed her. What was it? She looked around, too scared to move, and found her arm with a long red slit. A burning pain suddenly appeared, and she gasped as the blood fell onto the mat again.

She pressed the heels of her hands into her head. I'm not there, I'm not there.

What was wrong with her? She knew she wasn't there. She hadn't been there in months. But why was she seeing it? She felt like she could walk forward and feel the soft blankets that were meant to hide the cruelty of the place. As much as she tried, however, her feet were glued to the floor.

I'm going insane.

She pressed herself against the wall, hoping she could melt into it and leave the lab. She squeezed her eyes shut, and when she opened them, she was once again back in the AMO's holding cells. Relief flooded her, but she was still trapped. She ran up to the door and gripped the bars on the window that provided her with light. She considered yelling for help, but no. She had some dignity left.

Even so, she shook the door as if it'd magically break. The walls were closing in on her... Maybe she should scream. She opened her mouth to do so but suddenly she found it hard to breathe. She needed to get out. She needed to know she could get out. She needed air.

2832 gasped but it felt like someone had sucked all the oxygen out in one fell swoop. She fell to her knees, the feeling similar to when Siphon had strangled her to get her to where she was now.

She fell down to the ground, her vision going blurry. Her eyes closed briefly, then she opened them again and saw Leonard standing over her with his smile that expressed no emotion. She wanted to scream, but she fainted after.

FEBRUARY — UNKNOWN LOCATION — 1:47 AM

Pepper waited anxiously by the door, clutching her coat and bag. Tyler had gone to check that Monica and Marcus were asleep, and she was waiting for confirmation that she could go. He finally came back, and nodded quickly. He opened the door quietly. "Be careful," he whispered.