#63 Sterek

{Scott's POV}
I was constantly pacing across the worn out carpet in the living room of our small two bedroom apartment. My heart was beating fast, my hands were sweaty. My mind was racing with everything and nothing at all at the same time. Then he walked in...
"Stiles... where have you been?" I finally let out using all the power I had in me to sound as if I were calm. His eyes were glazed and his body was swaying so slightly that most people wouldn't notice. His cheeks were a rosy red and I could smell the whisky on his breath with my werewolf sense of smell.
"I was just hanging out with Liam for a little bit" he waved at me as he pushed past me "who are you? My dad? I can do what I want, I'm an adult." He was good at hiding his drinking. Most people didn't even know that he had a drinking problem... but I did. He's my best friend, I notice everything about him. When he's sad, when he's anxious, when he's so excited that he can hardly contain it.
"If you were really just hanging out with Liam... then why do I smell whiskey on your breath?" I stated bluntly. I was tried of doing the dance. The dance where he pretends he's fine and I fail to really say what I'm thinking because I'm afraid of hurting him more. He shrugged his jacket off and threw it on the couch as if my words didn't even faze him.
"So I had a drink. What does that matter? All the kids our age drink" he offered as an excuse. I could tell by the way that he was walking towards the room with his shoulders slumped that he was hoping I wouldn't keep pressing the subject.
"A drink every once in a while I get, but Stiles-!" I had to stop myself before I started yelling. I wasn't trying to attack him. I didn't want to make him feel bad... I just wanted him to know that I'm here for him.... that I care.
"Stiles...." I started again after gaining my calm composure back "ever since that Alpha killed Derek-."
"I don't want to talk about that!" Stiles snapped, cutting me off mid sentence.
"But we have to talk about it!" I couldn't help the way my voice rose as I spoke "because if we don't I'm worried what will happen to you!"
"Nothings going to happen to me!" He yelped, finally turning towards me with his arms flung in the air "I'm fine!" I let out a long pent up sigh of frustration.
"No, you're not fine!" I stated firmly "last I checked getting drunk every night for the past four months does not qualify as fine."
"Oh what do you know!" He growled spinning around and trying to slam his bedroom door on me but I caught it easily with a hand.
"What do I know?" I breathed "I know that you're hurting Stiles.... You loved Derek and I can't even imagine how it feels to have lost him the way you did.... you didn't deserve to lose him." His back was turned towards me, but I watched as the tops of Stiles shoulders lightly shook. I was surprised when he finally turned around, his eyes getting watery. He took a deep shaky breath.
"It feels like hell" he let out in a small sob "every day that I have to live without him... feels like an eternal hell." He pauses but I didn't speak up. I knew that he needed to let it all out, and maybe this was finally the time that he would. After a minute a small hysterical laugh escaped his lips.
"I remember the first time I met him" he spoke as he walked over and sank to sit down on the foot of his bed "the scowl... the brooding 'I hate everyone' attitude.......... I didn't want to admit that I liked him." He ran a had through his sweaty hair and let out another sad laugh before continuing.
"I'd always been comfortable with my sexuality. I've known I was bisexual since the day I hit puberty and started looking at all the other boys and girls differently, but that didn't mean I was going around shouting it off the rooftops" he explained "There was just something about Derek. I liked him but there was always this little voice inside my head telling me that I shouldn't. It wasn't because he was a man, or wasn't because he was a werewolf, and it wasn't because he had an attitude." He let out a forced breath of air that almost sounded like a partial laugh.
"I guess part of me was afraid" he shrugged "part of me knew how dangerously hard and fast I would fall for him if I let myself like him." He shook his head as he laid back in bed staring at the ceiling.
"I spent so long trying to fight the feelings I had for him... but when he finally kissed me that night..." I watched a small sad smile play at his lips "when he kissed me... I knew there was no going back. I knew right then that I was going to fall in love with this man. Call me crazy... but it's true." I nodded to let him know that I was listening to him.
"The way he was always so protective of me. The way he smiled when we were alone together. The way he was gentle the first time I had sex with him because he knew I was nervous" I watched the tears start to fall from his eyes once again "and then I had to watch him...die." He sat up and his body began racking with sobs and I pulled him into a hug. I just rubbed his back and didn't say a word because I knew that nothing I could say would heal that pain. All I could do was just sit and be here for him.
"I was so stupid" he cried out. I looked up at him in confusion.
"What do you mean?" I questioned.
"I never told you the whole story" he admitted "Derek and I had gotten into a fight that night..."
***{STILES' POV} FLASHBACK***
"You have to let me come with you" I begged, grasping at the back of his shirt as he walked towards the door.
"For the last time Stiles, no" he stated turning towards me "I'm not risking your safety. I have to do this myself."
"No you don't! I can't watch you get hurt Derek. They will attack you the first chance they get. You can't really believe that they just want to negotiate" I yelped "let me come with you. I can steal one of my dad's guns and hide nearby."
"Stiles, they'd smell you before you even got there and you'd be as good as dead" he explained in exasperation "I'll be fine. I promise."
"So I'm just supposed to wait here and wonder wether they've killed you or not?" I cried out "you can't expect me to be okay with that! I love you." Derek let out a sigh.
"I love you too Stiles" he offered, placing a gentle hand on my cheek "which is why I wouldn't put myself in danger because I know that it would hurt you. I wouldn't be going to meet up with the alpha of this pack if I didn't believe that his intentions were sincere."
"But Derek-." I started but he cut me off.
"I promise you that I will be fine. This guy isn't going to hurt me, we are just going to talk" he explained "I'll be back before you even have time to miss me." He began to open the door.
"I'll miss you the second you close this door" I admitted in a whisper. Derek pursed his lips as he looked at me.
"I'll be fine" he reassured me, his fingers playing with my hair "Just promise me you'll stay here... stay safe." Every cell in my body wanted to say no, but I knew that wouldn't change his mind.
"I promise" I breathed. A small pained smile graced his lips before he leaned in and placed a small gentle kiss on my lips.
"I'll be okay, I promise" he whispered "I love you."
"I love you too" I whispered back. With that he walked towards the danger ahead and shut the door.
***
I knew what I was doing was dangerous, but I couldn't just let him go to the werewolves by himself. I had grabbed a gun from my dads safe, filled it with silver bullets and went to the place where Derek had said he was meeting the alpha.
The branches of the bushes were scraping at my skin but I ignored them as I got close enough to hear the conversation. I had tried my best to cover my skin in mud in hopes that it would mask my sent from them.
"Derek!" The alphas voice boomed "I was starting to wonder if you were gonna chicken out on me." I was confused too as I watched Derek walking in. How had he gotten here later than I had?
"If I'm being honest, I started to worry that your intentions of just talking weren't exactly truthful" Derek offered "you have to know that coming here alone like you asked was a big risk on my part."
"I'm an asshole" the alpha admitted "but I'm an honest asshole. If I say that I only want to talk then that's the truth, and I came alone as well to prove that to you. As long as you cooperate then this won't escalate to a fight."
"What do you mean as long as I cooperate?" Derek quizzed.
"I mean that as long as you truly showed up alone like I asked" he offered "then there won't be any problems."
"Do you see anyone standing with me?" Derek offered, his arms spread wide in challenge "I just want to get to the point. What is your business here?"
"My business here is-." He started when I felt a sting in the back of my neck that caused me to fall forward creating a lot of brush noise. The alphas words immediately stopped and I knew in the moment that he had heard me. I winced in regret.
"You brought a friend?!" The alpha roared "that means all negotiations are off!" I looked up just in time to see the alpha lunge forward towards Derek.
"Derek!" I screamed, fiddling for the gun that I had stuffed into the back of my pants. I rushed forward without even thinking as I watched the alphas hand rip into Derek's chest before he even got to react.
"No!!!" I screeched in pain as I rose the gun at the alpha and without hesitation I pulled the trigger. The alphas body collapsed to the side as I sprinted as fast as I could towards Dereks unconscious body.
"Derek, oh my god, Derek!" I blubbered, kneeling beside him and dragging his body into my lap
"I'm so sorry Derek! Please be alive! Derek!" I cried, tears running down my face in agony "please... please...... please......... Derek!" I buried my face into his lifeless chest, sobbing. Derek was gone.... and it was all my fault...
***END OF FLASHBACK***
{SCOTT'S POV}
"You see? It's all my fault. Derek's dead because I messed up!" He cried, burying his face into his hands "I should've been he one killed, not him!"
"Stiles" I breathed in sympathy "you can't blame yourself. You made a mistake but your heart was in the right place. You were just trying to protect him and Derek would never want you to let that weigh you down." Stiles didn't say a word, he just continued to cry as he buried his face into my shoulder.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey guys, I'm finally back! Sorry for such a depressing first chapter back but I was just feeling inspired, haha. Anyway I hope you all enjoyed and didn't shed too many tears. I'll try and start updating all of my stories soon! Love you guys, you're the reason I write! ^_^
P.S. I promise the next one will be something other than Sterek, lol.  I just realized that the previous two chapters were sterek as well.