13. The Hypocrisy of being called "white"

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT THIS ISNT A HATE PIECE FOR WHITE PEOPLE

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT THIS ISNT A HATE PIECE FOR WHITE PEOPLE. It's just talking about what black people do in our community which hurts other black people. Sometimes I wonder why am I always told that I "act white" or because I listen to rock or any genre besides a "black genre" like hip hop I'm wack. A lot of black people have called me weird because I definitely don't "act" black. In addition, this has made me realise that when a black person who's had a different way of life than to other black people - their black ness is questioned.

For example, if I go to university where there is a larger portion of black people but I come from a rural village/town with predominant white people - I know that first, my experience is going to be different, not bad different just different. Also depending on the village and it's traditions, I might do things differently than to the other black people that live in the city or come from the hood. And also, I might speak differently.

Thus, this gives me a disadvantage - sometimes black people weigh this and takes this into consideration. If I speak differently, I pronounce my words clearer and if I act differently or not stick to the norms of a another black boy/girl ultimately I'm white.

I'm so sorry if that confuses you but I will explain using my story. Firstly, I came from a white neighbourhood, I was one of the only black families to live in that area. When I moved to a black school, many people called me weird because I spoke proper English, I liked the foods which were culturally deemed as "white" and I didn't really enjoy my cultural foods.

But the one thing that annoyed me was that even though my black friends didn't think I was black enough, my white friends did. I wasn't white to them, I was black and I am black - it doesn't change if I choose to like genres which black people don't generally listen to or vice versa.

When I told my black friends that I liked rock and roll and were confused and said it was a white genre and then I told them that I like country gospel and then they said I was weird and I was acting white.

The moral of the story is that because of their negative outlooks and their preconceived thoughts on what black is or how a black person should do or act. I was no longer being myself - I was trying to be someone else.

I just want to say, please leave people who make you feel that what you do, listen to, speak and act is weird or different to watch you look like whether it's race or gender.

One thing I learnt was that it was okay to be weird and then over time I realised that what I enjoyed to do wasn't weird it was me. I didn't need to be "black" or act like a stereotypical black person because I am black. My blackness will never change and people will always see me as black.

The point of this chapter is to learn, if I decided to leave these people earlier I could of been on a better path than I am today. In addition, I could of been enjoying the best part of my youth without thinking of being black.

To all the people who don't fit in, you're not suppose to fit in, you're not suppose to be or act your race - you are your race but you are a human first and yourself first before being your  race. Don't let it define you - work hard and people will recognise it, be who you are and people who gravitate towards you.

Since being myself I have been able to make plenty of friends from all walks of life and all different ages. I have people who wanted to employ me because I am different and I am content. I'm at peace with myself and I am less anxious because I am myself - I don't have to find it I am it.

I hope that makes everyone happy! Read the ending when you feel down!

Also listen to this song by Spice and her interview with genius to understand it in depth!

Black Hipocrisy by Spice

Genius Interview

Questions

What are your thoughts on this?

P.S I'm going to edit this book, there are so many grammar mistakes and I'm so sorry!