9. Tokenism

I DIDN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS BUT NOW I HAVE TO

I DIDN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS BUT NOW I HAVE TO. There is something that needs to be discussed and today this is it I have decided that I would like to talk about being the only black person and especially in universities or predominantly white universities who in workforce well and higher working forces and also being the token black friend.

There are some things that life does not prepare us for one is being a token black friend. When I was moved to a predominantly white area I never understood colour and some people I'm fortunately do you not have to experience race all race being an issue for them however black is always discuss and it's always a topic which people have to discuss mainly about or it just has to be part of your identity and sometimes you wanna run away from it.

Firstly what I mean is that when you token black friend you somehow stand up for your whole community so whatever bad or whoever is bad such as R. Kelly or bad black men and women. You are automatically pushed into that stereotype or have to question the reasons behind all the reasons why they did that however this should not be the case and this should not happen.

The token black friend socks because sometimes you are dealed with the N word and the N word even though you know the historical background unfortunately your friends or pals make it out they scrutinise you and then make you feel like the word it means nothing and therefore you should allow them to say it. However that should not be the case.

But once you allow them to say the N word it never stops it's just there and here and there in that song, in this song. However when they meet another black person they do not open that of the word therefore it becomes a problem for you because you have to explain to other black people why are you allowed them to say it and then somehow your black card is revoked.

Have you ever been a black token friend how does that make you feel?

What is a black token friend? Here's how to define it!

It can be good but it also can be bad because sometimes you don't feel like yourself and you don't feel like you can express yourself

It can be good but it also can be bad because sometimes you don't feel like yourself and you don't feel like you can express yourself. Sometimes their parents don't like you at all and other times they only trust you to be their only black friend.

But this is not a rant to pick on a race of people. NO. This is to highlight what it feels like to be a black friend and what happens when the wrong people want you to be you in every form or peer pressure you into their own ideal.

How to properly represent or deal with a token black friend? You ask.

I'll give you an example of my experience in University (no I will not disclose my universities name). The experience was wonderful because the first time in forever I didn't feel like I had to have a say in what black people's activities or wrong doings. I was treated like an individual, no one expected a word from me but when I felt the reason to justify the black celebrities actions/words they were open ears.

I think whoever black or white, if you are the only white person, only Hispanic/latina, only mixed race or the only black person in the group etc. You do not have to stand up for every black person and you do not have to say anything. It is your right yes but we are all different and some black people are inline with what we believe whilst others aren't.

Honestly I'm over being black I don't see myself as a colour I see myself as a person with thoughts and feelings and we shouldn't have to define our colour unless it's for documentation. I enjoy being the only black person in a sea of white people or anyone else because it doesn't change who I am and it shouldn't for you.

If someone wants to token you then don't be their friend please they just want to be you whether white, black etc.

Have friends who see you for your personality and you can bridge the gap between cultures.