Part 10 - "I'm going home"

Start from the beginning

Selena's POV

"This morning, a young girl, who we had promised to protect, has fallen during our hunt in Kenston Burns. Eleanor had only just joined our team, but we are very sad to let her go. She was only 12 years old. Of course, I don't know every individual person of this camp, but I remember her sitting at my table when her big sister tried protecting her from any harm. And I immediately saw what was worth protecting this much. She was innocent, yet she had this fire in her eyes. She will live on with her parents, up above, forever returning her big sister's duty to protect her."

Commander Kingston ended his small speech while looking in Demi's eyes with a compassionate smile. His words showed his respect for her. She gave a small nod, got up from her chair and walked towards the ground the body had been buried in. She placed a small picture she had hidden in her bag pack for years. A small picture of a very young Demi, smiling brightly at the baby sister she held in her arms. She stepped aside for me to place something on her grave too. I made sure the small picture leaned against the blue bunny I had given her. I stood up again, as the tears rolled down my cheeks. We both watched the small stone, with letters carved in it. 'Eleanor Collette Lovato. May she become one with the stars.' Demi had a strong protective feeling over her last name, so protective that I didn't know the name until I saw the stone that was carved. But we wanted Lea to rest with dignity. "You have to get back to bed." I placed my hand on Demi's arm, not wanting her to get sicker than she already was. "Yeah.."

"I bought you some soup." I placed myself on the edge of her bed, waiting for her to slowly sit up. "Thanks." She took the bowl and started drinking it. Her hands were trembling. The bags under her eyes gave away the fact that she wasn't able to get as much sleep as she needed at the moment. "This is good." She looked at the soup, stirring the spoon a little. I smiled slightly at her. "I'm glad. I've been doing some chores to get more coins." I explained. She looked up at me, the guilt was visible in her face. "Didn't you use my pouch?" She asked. "Your pouch is empty. So is Lea's. You've been in bed for days." I looked at the blanket I tucked Demi further in. "I figured it was time to start doing chores." 

"Let me do a chore tomorrow." She said. "No. You're too sick, Demi." "I'm not. I'm not letting you do chores for me." She frowned. "It's fine. For you, I do it gladly." "I'll sleep the illness off tonight, I'm sure." She said determined, coughing afterward. "You're barely able to hold a bowl of soup, Demi. It's fine, okay? When you get better you can do as many chores as you want." I smiled at her. She nodded with a frown, taking another sip of her soup. We both knew her mental state had affected her body, that it had made her sick. She wouldn't get better until she started feeling at least slightly better. Until then, I promised myself to take good care of her. "The pouch is empty..." She repeated to herself, as she gave the bowl of soup back to me, almost mindlessly. "Don't have any coins left..." She laid herself back down. She had been saying random things to herself lately. The things turned more random each time she did it. It concerned me.

A loud bang of thunder woke me up that night, realizing I had fallen asleep at the desk. I had tried to write a letter to my dad since I was so harshly confronted with the meaning of family. I hadn't written more than 3 sentences before falling asleep on my arm. I looked around, seeing someone had placed a thin blanket over my shoulders. Demi's bed was empty. I quickly got up, walking towards the bathroom. But the door was open and there was no one inside. I was alone in our cabin. My heart sank after I turned around to see if her bag pack was still on her usual spot. The bag pack was gone. Did she go for a walk all on her own? I walked towards my bag, where hers had stood next to, with a frown. I then spotted the knife she had taken out and placed on the desk. She had returned it to me. The sign was clear. She had left and wasn't planning to return, otherwise, she would've taken the knife with her. I looked around, panicking, thinking of what to do. She was all on her own, which is something that wouldn't concern me, but she was incredibly sick. And the weather was cruel and dangerous in these woods.

I took my own bag pack and ran out of the building to find her. I had no idea where she could've gone. The rain and the wind made my surrounding unbearable. "Demi!" I yelled, looking around. I stepped into the mud and started running around. "Demi!" I yelled again, knowing it was no use. I remembered the whistle inside my pocket. I quickly took it and started blowing it as hard as I could. The screeching sound of the thing overmastered the loud wind easily. Still, there was no response. I tried to figure out what way she could've gone. I decided to follow the rivers of rain streaming down the mountain, whistling as loud as I could. For countless minutes I kept blowing, looking for her. It was no use. I lost her. I hit the brakes after my legs could no longer keep running. I panted, panicking. I had to find her, even if it were the last thing I could do. I cared about this lady, more than I ever expected to do. But I knew it wasn't going to work anymore. She left without me to live on her own again, or to die of sickness somewhere in the storm. She was bound to follow her little sister into heaven. It made my eyes fill with tears.

Without much hope left, I blew the whistle once me, looking around. An echo of the thing sounded far further in the woods. I looked up at where the sound came from, not sure if I heard it correctly. I whistled one more time, hoping for another response. Again the whistle echoed through the rain, and my body received its last bit of adrenaline to follow it. I ran again, the noise I made me go crazy. At last, I reached a river, aggressively streaming. I watched a figure clumsily strapping the last plank onto a raft. "Demi!" I yelled, running towards her. "Go back to the camp!" Demi yelled, harshly coughing afterward. "You can't leave! You're too sick!" I yelled through the loud noise of the river and the raindrops crashing into it. "I'm going home!" She replied, shaking her head. Her reply concerned me deeply. What did she mean, home? 

"You're not going anywhere!" I tried stopping her from pushing the raft further into the river. "Leave me the fuck alone!" She pushed me away, almost tripping. Her push made me fall in the water, but I was lucky to be able to grab a rock to remain ashore. "You're gonna get yourself killed!" I tried to convince her, but she didn't seem to care. She seemed to do pretty fine pushing the raft onto the river. She quickly crawled on top, letting go of the stick that kept the raft from streaming down the river. Her eyes widened and met mine as soon as she started streaming away backward. Almost as if she woke up from her hysteria. "Demi!" I couldn't believe she allowed herself to be doomed this way. It almost looked like a suicide attempt. Was it? Whatever it was, her eyes told me she regretted it.

I let myself go swimming after the raft. I had never had a harder time trying to keep my head above the surface. The force of the water made me tumble around, not getting anywhere near the raft. "Selena!" "Help!" "I can't swim!" Demi shouted, trying her very best to hold on the bundle of planks that was starting to sink slowly. "Stop the raft!" I screamed. Demi tried to stop the thing by holding onto another branch heading her way. A wave of water snatched the raft from underneath her body. She sunk under the surface quickly, as she tried to her best to keep breathing. I managed to hold to another rock. "Hold on!" I yelled. My heart was going wild. The rock was too slippery to hang on to, causing me to stream further and crash against an even bigger rock, right on my stomach. I tried climbing from rock to rock while processing the pain I felt in my rib. I could see Demi searching for air to breathe, as she still held on to the bungling branch near the edge of the river. She started taking off her bag pack to lose weight.

I finally managed to reach her, trying to swim my last part towards her. For a second I forgot to keep the aggressive current in mind, and my body crashed right onto Demi's, causing her to let go of the branch. I quickly took the strap of her backpack she still held in her hand, using it as a rope to keep her close to me. I swam towards a bush and stopped both of us from streaming any further. Demi still had a hard time fighting against the current. "Hold on!" I yelled, trying to pull her closer to me as her head went up and down the surface. I gritted my teeth, the pain in my rib made pulling against the current feel impossible. She finally climbed ashore and helped me climb up as well. I turned around and leaned on my elbows, panting wildly. "Fuck." I squeezed my eyes shut, placing my hand on the rib that was hurting like crazy. Demi had turned away from me to throw up, vomiting mostly the water she had swallowed while almost drowning. "Are you okay?" I asked. She nodded, sitting up. "I'm sorry.." She frowned avoiding eye contact. I carefully laid my back on the ground, feeling the raindrops finally decreasing amounts.