Chapter 34

~~~ MARY MARGRET'S POV ~~~

"He knows Cora, so he could be helpful. If you excuse us now. We gotta get back to work." Emma says with coldness clouding her voice. Then she walks past me, taking hold of Hook's hook and pulling him with her.

What just happened? Did Emma really just willingly spend time with the pirate?

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. It's not like I'll understand it anyway.

Then I walk inside, the little bell at the door announcing my arrival. I walk over to Ruby, who is standing behind the counter. I sit down on a barstool.

"The usual?" Ruby asks me instantly.

"Yeah. Lasagne for David and me and one grilled cheese with onion rings." I answer.

Ruby looks at me with curiosity. Right, she doesn't know about there being two Emma's. "Emma was just here with Hook. She already ate. Didn't you pass them outside?"

"Yeah. Henry is eating with us." I lie quickly and surprisingly Ruby doesn't seem to catch on to it.

I sigh in relief. I'm usually not the best liar and Ruby can literally smell my lies most of the time. Luckily, she didn't make me explain anything now. I probably would've told her everything, if she just asked. I really have to bite my tongue here, resisting to tell her the truth even though she bought my lie.

"Ok. Coming right up, Snow." Ruby brings the sheet of paper with my order to the kitchen and then returns to me, leaning her elbows onto the counter. "So, Emma and Hook, huh?"

Wait, what? I raise my eyebrows and look at her in confusion. Did I miss anything?

I mean sure they're on patrol right now together, but that doesn't mean anything, right?

She also held his hook as they walked away, but that was just to make him follow her. So, what is Ruby talking about? There is no Emma and Hook. There is Emma and there is Hook. That's it.

Emma would never be interested in him. He's a dirty pirate!

There will never be an 'Emma and Hook'. I'll see to that.

"What are you talking about?"

Ruby sighs. "They hang out here pretty often. I just assumed that meant something." She shrugs.

"Define 'pretty often.'" I try hard to remain calm. There's no need to snap at Ruby. She's my friend. It's not her fault, that she's currently giving me some bad news.

Ruby looks at me like she's about to be in trouble. She can read me really well. No wonder we're so close. "Almost every day." She says quietly, but I can still hear every word she just said.

I suck in a sharp breath.

My daughter is hanging out with a pirate on a daily basis. What should I do about this now? I can't just let it keep happening, can I? Emma is already so closed off and sad all the time. I can't let her befriend Hook. He'll only end up disappointing her. I know it for certain since that's exactly the kind of man he is.

I have to talk to David about this as soon as I get home.

"Does that really surprise you though?" Ruby says with a present smirk on her face now. When did she stop being scared of my reaction to supporting this? What's wrong with her? Does she really believe that this is good for my daughter?

I mean sure it's nice to see her putting her trust in someone. But Hook? Is that necessary?

"Actually, yes. It doesn't surprise you?" I raise my eyebrows and Ruby shakes her head with a laugh.