Chapter Twenty-Eight

lil authors note at the end

———————————————————

The Burrow smelled like chocolate and roast.

At first thought, it seemed like a rather disgusting combination. But once both aromas swirled together, they gave a mouth watering effect. The roast gave off a heat from its containment in the oven and you could practically taste the chocolate melting in the air. It was a heavenly smell and one that made all of the children grow ever so hungrier.

Lacy Weasley laid on the floor in the living room. She had rolls of parchment scattered around her and a rather old quill with a perfectly bent nib in her hand. She hummed a tune that suspiciously sounded like A Groovy Kind of Love by Phil Collins. Lacy was on her stomach with sock covered feet crossed at the ankles and raised off the ground.

She scrunched her nose as she scribbled out a line on her letter and started writing again.

Laila, when we get back to Hogwarts, remind me to never let Bill cut my hair. I figured it would've been a decent idea seeing as he cuts his own, but now I've got these awful bangs. I'm out for blood next time I see that earring wearing tosser. My hair is all I have, clearly, and he ruined my one asset. That's another thing. Remind me to find his leather jacket because that thing is getting a makeover. He was smart enough to not bring that home so I currently don't have any leverage over him. That and he's about a solid foot taller then me so there is only so much a short angry girl with an awful resemblance to Janet bloody Ellis can do. Thanks again for showing me Muggle telovision. I got to talk to me dad about that and he was very excited. Also he wants to meet you and he said specifically to bring a 'walking man' with you. Or whatever it's called.

Lacy smirked to herself as she wrote about messing with Bill. Her red hair was pulled into a low microscopic ponytail as her new bangs stood on proud display. She could still remember Ginny's shrieks of laughter when she saw Lacy come out of the bathroom after it was first cut.

That eight year old was getting more brave and mischievous. Lacy nodded absentmindedly to her thoughts. Another partner in crime could never hurt.

She signed off her letter to her friend and sealed the letter with a quick fold. She simply didn't have the time to make it fancy or find an envelope. She pocketed it and rolled over to lay on her back and stare at the ceiling.

"Come back here!" An exacerbated voice shouted barreling into the room. Percy Weasley huffed with his glasses on the top of his nose.

Lacy watching with vague interest as he ran around the couch before dropping to his hands and knees behind it. She raised an eyebrow and moved to him.

"So, whatcha doing Perc?" She asked crawling stealthily next to him. He jumped in surprise when she announced her presence with talking. With a roll of his eyes, he plunged his hand into the abyss that was the space underneath the couch. With a few screeching noises he pulled his hand out what a rat clutched in it.

Lacy grinned as he smirked at her and showed her the rat.

"Hiya Scabbers" she said stroking the plump rats head. Percy smiled fondly at her excited expression.

"Decided he wanted to explore the Burrow today, but ran away as soon as I placed him down.  Been chasing him around for the better part of an hour" Percy said softly as Scabbers calmed down with Lacy and Percy's gentle touches. The girl nodded along to her big brother and fell back onto her bum.

"You know if mum would see him in the kitchen she would loose it" Lacy said a smile spread across her face and an all too familiar glint appeared in her eye. Percy sighed and looked down at his rat. George and Fred both noticed their brother and sister in the living room and moved silently from the stairs to behind Percy.