Jeshua - Chapter 33

We were eventually given permission and a guide to take us a little way out into the desert, where John the Baptist was speaking to a small crowd. He immediately noticed our group heading toward him, and he jumped off a rock and ran up to greet us. He gave me the biggest bear hug of my life and lifted me in the air.

"My brother, you have made it! I have been so anxious to see you again!" He put me down and beamed a large smile at me. His energy was so vibrant, and he was a handsome man, overflowing with exuberance. He was only a few years older than I was, but he looked younger.

John spent a few moments hugging Mary and acknowledging her as a fellow teacher. "Please come join us, my friends," John exclaimed, while waving his hand in the direction of the small gathering. "We were just about to initiate some new members. What perfect timing."

I smiled, placed my hand on John's shoulder, and gave him a reassuring pat. "It is wonderful to see you again, my brother."

"Yes, Rabbi. I hope your stay has been pleasant so far. We Essenes pride ourselves on taking care of our guests."

"Oh, we've been taken care of, all right," Thomas shouted from the back of the group. An audible slap on bare skin quickly followed.

"Please join us. I was just finishing up on how our bodies need to be cleansed if we want God's good grace to shine a light on us." John's face was aglow as he walked us to the others.

"The Father wishes for our bodies to be clean, eh?" I asked aloud.

"Yes. We bath our bodies to represent bathing our spirits and freeing them from sin," John explained, but he started to look puzzled. "Do you not understand this concept, brother Jeshua?"

"Oh, I understand the concept. What I would challenge is that the Father does not care if your body is cleansed or not. What matters is if your heart and mind are cleansed. But forgive me. Proceed." I motioned with my head for him to continue the initiation.

John's fast pace slowed a bit as he stared at me for a brief moment. Regaining his composure, he smiled wide and motioned for the first initiate to approach him. A young man in his teens approached and knelt before John. A woman then brought over a bowl filled with water.

John took the bowl from her and addressed the initiate. "Do you swear your whole body, your whole way of life, and your spirit to God?"

A strong "With all my heart" was heard from the initiate.

"Do you swear to abide by the commandments, holy Sabbath, and the laws of God?" Another affirmative response. "Do you allow your body, mind, and spirit to be washed away in sin?"

"With all my heart," was choked out through the young man's sobbing.

"Then you shall be cleansed and welcomed into this community, my brother." John then emptied all of the water onto the initiate and placed his hands on his soaked head. "God, may you bless this young man who has been a sinner but shall no longer walk the path of the dark but shall shine in the light."

The young man's sobbing grew louder as he clutched John's cloak.

John looked over at me, pleased as a farmer with the highest yield of his life. He gently brought the young man up onto his feet. "Go with God, my brother."

John looked over to our group, raised his arms, and beckoned me over, "Rabbi Jeshua, would you like to be cleansed of your sins and initiated into our way?"

I walked over to John but did not respond. John's arms lowered slightly in puzzlement.

When I got to him, I placed both hands on his massive shoulders and said, "John, the Father has no concept of sin unless you mean the sin of making the same mistake over again. That mistake is to think that we are really separate bodies. All we have to do is think with spirit, and we will eventually return as spirit. No cleansing required." I gave John a gentle kiss on the cheek and then turned to the small crowd.

"Your brother John is on the right road. The only amendment I would make is this: The Father does not recognize the world of bodies, only the world of spirit. To join with Him, join with spirit in your mind, and see the form of spirit within all of your brothers and sisters." I paused and saw a mix of confusion and some anger.

One of the Essenes shouted, "Who are you to change John's words?"

I simply responded with, "Holy Spirit, enter my mind," and I closed my eyes. I joined with the Holy Spirit in my mind and felt my body slowly disappear. I also felt the familiar intense tingling in the top of my head and within my heart. I willed this intensity to permeate me and flow through me.

I heard a gasp escape the crowd. I could tell John was moving to face me.

Someone yelled out, "The light! The light! Look at the light!"

After a few seconds in this state, I opened my eyes to see John staring in disbelief. "You see, my brother? Who needs water when you have a pure mind?"

John's opened mouth closed. His eyes narrowed, and his jaw clenched.

I was not welcomed back to the Essenes after that demonstration.