Jeshua - Chapter 4

I called all of our friends and travel companions to join us for a celebration gathering in Jerusalem. There was no theme, and I did not tell my brothers and sisters the reason for the gathering.

Mary and the women had departed, whispering in high tones to secure a room for our celebration. A kind grey-haired woman with a smattering of missing teeth named Ruth ran the establishment. She was trusted, as we had come to her many times for meals and to have conversations away from prying eyes.

On the day of celebration, Mary and I arrived merry in spirit. This was only a few days after we were greeted in the Jewish streets of Jerusalem with warm and wide-open arms by many in our community.

No one in our tight group was aware of my upcoming teaching demonstration, except for Mary. Knowing that my time in a body was growing near the end, she rarely left my side. When she did, she constantly practiced forgiveness in her own mind, but I could tell this was not always easy for her.

The others had no idea. To them she was still the sweet, beautiful, and intelligent Mary they all loved. She is the embodiment of a true master, I thought fondly while stealing a glance at her beatific face.

Mary and I arrived at Ruth's sparse gathering room to ensure all was well and prepared for the celebration. We were also accompanied by Isaah, Mariam, and Rebecca—three of Mary's most loyal followers. They were all clad in blue and white head dressings as had become the symbol of her most devout followers.

Isaah stood out among the three with her high Arab cheeks, gleaming black eyes, darker skin, and stunning beauty. She was Thomas' wife and had the patience of a mother cat. She needs to be patient with Thomas amusing myself in the moment.

Mary and I held hands while the women went about rearranging furniture into a semicircle so all of the guests could see each other as best as possible and allow access for the host and her helpers to bring food and drink to the group. Last came dozens more candles. The light has come I mused.

I felt deep gratitude for all the assistance, care and attention to beauty our friends put into setting up the space. I also noticed how smooth Mary's olive skin was and the lightness of her hand in mind.

I poured wine for all of us and then tried to sit at the very end of the semicircle. Mary pulled on my arm gently and leaned in to my ear, where I could feel and smell her sweet breath on me. "Oh no, you don't. Tonight we will be celebrating our time with you, and you will be in the center. I'll be on your right." Then she kissed my ear.

Isaah, Mariam, and Rebecca were used to seeing Mary and me exchange hugs and kisses in public. Ruth was not. She let out a slight gasp and then dropped an empty cup. "My apologies," she muttered as she picked up the cup and briskly walked from the room, fumbling with her shawl.

Mary and I sat patiently waiting for the others. The three women ran out of things to arrange and joined us at the table. They too began drinking wine, and we engaged in light conversation.

Finally, Mariam asked, "Rabbis, what are we celebrating tonight? Passover is not for a few days. Shouldn't we be saving for the feast?" She tucked a black lock back into her headdress.

Mary looked at me with knowing eyes and then looked back toward the women. "All will be revealed in due course, my sisters. Meanwhile, let's just enjoy each other's company and the opportunity to relax among good friends."

They nodded, and then we all turned at once as several people entered the room. Loud conversation and laughter filled the once-quiet space.

Thomas walked over to us, put his arms around Isaah's ample waist, and gave her a big kiss on the cheek. Still feeling embarrassed about public affection, she hid her head in her robes and then poked Thomas in his exposed chest. "It smells like someone has already started his celebration. How much wine have you had?"