Mary Magdalene - Chapter 14

Thomas, Isaah, Thaddaeus, and I walked back to the home where we were staying. It was a contemplative walk as we all kept to our own thoughts. I was a mix of emotions, yet I was able to remain mostly calm, staying connected to Mother and the Holy Spirit in my mind.

Without warning, memories of Jeshua and me together came flooding in. It started with the earliest memory I had of him, when we met as children.

Jeshua already carried a reputation as a wise rabbi by the time he was twelve. He had visited many places outside of Judea, such as Egypt, Syria, India, and Greece. My family also believed a strong education was important and, despite the fact that I was a woman, ensured that I too had a chance to see and understand more of the world. My parents were deeply spiritual people with very kind and loving hearts. They did not believe in dividing people into groups by religion, gender, or sexual proclivities. It reminded me of when I first my Jeshua.

Our family had decided to make the yearly journey from our home in Magdala to Jerusalem. I was six at the time and expected our trip to be as it always had been—a seriously long trip to the city, praying in the temples, and some exploration of the sites, followed by a long return voyage, during which we would discuss all we had experienced while praying to God.

Yet this specific trip would change my life. My brief encounter with the young man named Jeshua would be so impactful that it never left my mind or my heart for the rest of my life.

My father favored our entering through the smaller Essene gate at the southern end of the city, even though it meant a slightly longer journey. While not a member of the Essenes, he had made friends with many of them, especially in the Qumran region.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with warmth and sternness at the same time. There were many protocols to follow if one wished to enter through the Essene gate, but they were efficient and capable of assisting our cleansing and food preparation for days of holy communing.

After settling in, we were all eager to make our way to the temple at the northeast end of the city and begin our cleansing and praying. Even when I was young, I was always excited to have quiet time and to talk with God. I felt that I had a different relationship with God than most people talked about.

Most of the rabbis made it sound like we should be beneath God, but I always felt like we were equals and that She wanted to hear from me. I spoke these thoughts out loud to my parents and some of their friends. They laughed nervously and played it off as a silly child's thoughts. "She'll grow out of it one day," my father said, glancing nervously at his friends.

When we arrived at the temple, a small crowd was assembled around someone I could not see. There seemed to be a mix of laymen and rabbis, both Sadducees and Pharisees alike. Without thinking, I ran over to see what was so interesting.

"Mary, do not run in temple," my mother scolded behind me. I could hear her footsteps as she ran after me. I beat her to the crowd and slithered my way past the men who encircled a young man.

"Oh my!" I gasped when I saw this young man dressed as a rabbi in white. I was so used to seeing older rabbis that this fresh-faced and bright-eyed younger man startled me and took my breath away. He was turning and speaking to the small crowd when he spun in my direction. He gave me a quick glance and a smile but continued speaking to his audience. I had never seen anyone with such bright, glistening eyes or with so much gentle authority when he spoke. I was captivated. And then his words struck me at such a deep level I could feel my body start to quiver, and I became slightly lightheaded.

"Yes, my brothers"—he turned back to me—"and sister. God is in each one of your hearts. He wants to hear from you. He wants you to be present with Him in Heaven. If you love Him with all of your heart, all of your mind, you will find that there is nothing left wanting. He needs you as much as you need Him. That is the secret that can help set you free if you feel that God is too big for you or that you are undeserving."