Mary Magdalene - Chapter 30

We traveled as a small group to Cana for one of our cousins' weddings. Jeshua's mother, Mary, was there, as well as his aunt. His father unfortunately had passed away not too long ago, and we wanted to make sure we could spend time with Mary. James had gone ahead of us to be with his mother and their cousin, Joseph of Arimathea, who was helping to put on the celebration.

We arrived a day early, anticipating some rest after traveling throughout Galilee. Jeshua and I were given a private alcove in one of his cousins' homes, and we were grateful for the privacy. After washing, we had a small amount of food and then went to the private alcove to rejuvenate our energy and meditate.

I sat on a comfortable rug, with Jeshua opposite me. We were both deep in meditation and connection with Mother when I started to notice an argument occurring at the front of the house. It was the bride, arguing with her father about not ordering enough wine for the wedding guests and that her wedding would be ruined because her father was tight with his money.

I allowed their conversation to continue as I returned my focus to spirit. I sent my brother and sister loving thoughts of peace and then continued. Eventually, I heard more voices at the entrance of the home, and at first I did not pay it much mind.

I then heard more talk about Jeshua and me having group discussions because several friends and family had heard about our attendance at the wedding and were hoping we would talk with them.

I opened my eyes, and within moments, Jeshua opened his as well. "I don't think we will get the rest we were looking forward to this evening," I said aloud.

"Rest is an illusion." Jeshua breathed out as he stretched and pulled himself off the rug-lined floor. "We will have plenty of time to relax later tonight and tomorrow. Shall we?" He raised his right eyebrow and extended his hand to mine.

"As long as we are together, I don't care what we do this evening."

Cousin Joseph quietly approached our alcove. "Ah. Good. You are up and about." He clasped his hands together, happy to see he wasn't disturbing us. "Were you able to hear the spirited conversation we were just having?"

"Something about your speaking with a crowd of people," Jeshua said, slapping Joseph on the shoulder.

"Very funny, my young cousin. No, actually, I have organized two groups. One group would like to speak with Jeshua and the other with Mary."

This was not an unusual request. In some of the larger towns, it was still considered breaking the law for a woman to speak of scripture or for groups of women to listen to scripture in a formal setting. Jeshua and I typically would talk to different groups, depending on the culture of each town. I would speak with the women and Jeshua with the men. I always enjoyed the more open-minded communities, where we could combine our teachings, but that wasn't in store for this evening.

Jeshua put one arm across the back of my neck. "Sounds like we will have a nice chat with some friends and family tonight."

I smiled at Jeshua and looked over to Joseph. "Where would you like us to gather this evening?"

Ever the impeccable organizer, Joseph responded, "You will both be separated after the evening meal into two different rooms. We will be eating evening meal in the hall, and there are several meeting rooms to choose from. We can pick appropriate rooms based on the number of interested gatherers."

"That all sounds lovely, Joseph. Thank you for your help with organizing all of the events today and tomorrow. Where do you find the time, my brother?" I asked with genuine curiosity. He seemed to have several irons in the fire and was always off organizing some event or helping out a friend or family member. He had a huge heart and loved to be of service.