Lazarus - Chapter 25

Lazarus did not keep his promise to his sister at all. He stopped to talk with anyone who was curious about what had happened and told how Jeshua had brought him back from death.

He spoke with all of his friends except for the few who thought he was a walking demon. He met so many new people in Bethany that he felt he knew the whole town. People from outlying villages had even journeyed over to talk with him, touch him, and hear his story. A large contingency from Jerusalem began to arrive. They set up temporary living spaces on the outskirts of town or were taken into homes as guests.

Within a few days of his resurrection, a faction of both Pharisees and Sadducees had arrived and were camped out in different locations outside of Bethany. The leaders of both groups presented themselves separately to Lazarus and asked to speak with him privately. Lazarus arranged it so both leaders would visit with him at the same time in his home the next day.

He and Martha spent the next morning preparing the home for their arrival and fixing refreshments and food that they also wanted blessed. Martha loved the thought of a holy Pharisee and Sadducee being in her home and to have them bless as many things as she could get them to do.

The Pharisee leader, Mathias, was the first to arrive and graciously accepted their hospitality. Not too long after, the Sadducee leader, Joses, arrived, and both leaders were very surprised to see each other.

Joses pulled Lazarus to the side, saying in a low growl, "I thought we were to discuss this matter in private."

Lazarus gave a throaty laugh and said, "We are speaking in private. This is our home. No one will disturb us!"

Joses seemed about to protest and then looked over at Mathias. "My pardon, Rabbi Mathias. I was not expecting you or anyone else here." Joses walked over to Mathias, and the two kissed each other on the cheek.

"Well, I just thought we could take down two giants with one stone, as good ol' David might say." Lazarus winked at Mathias.

Joses cleared his throat, and all four sat down. Joses took longer than the others, ensuring he did not overly wrinkle or dirty his embroidered robes.

"Mathias, I hope you don't mind, but I would like to start off this discussion." Without even looking over at Mathias, Joses started peppering Lazarus with a round of questions. "How did you take ill? When did you die? How did you die? Did you really die? What was it like? Did you see God? Did you see evil? What did Jeshua do to you? Is this all a hoax?"

Lazarus looked over at his sister, who stared intently between the three men. Lazarus lifted his head up toward the ceiling and let out a hearty laugh.

"My brothers." Lazarus clapped a hand on each man's shoulder. Joses winced at the touch, and Mathias gave Lazarus a slight smile. "I will tell you all about my experience. I have nothing to hide."

Martha cleared her throat and narrowed her eyes slightly.

"Let me begin with the most obvious. Yes, I took ill a couple of weeks ago, and yes, my body passed away a few days ago. Then, with the help of my cousin Jeshua, I chose to return to my body, whole and refreshed, in the state that you see before you now." He made a dramatic pause and then asked, "Any questions?"

Mathias spoke first, "Yes. Many questions at this point. You say that you really did die and that your cousin Rabbi Jeshua helped you? How?"

"How indeed?" Joses added.

"Have either of you heard Rabbi Jeshua speak of God, of forgiveness, and of how our minds really function?" He looked between both men with a questioning tilt of his head.