Jeshua - Chapter 31

I had received many messages to visit with John the Baptist. He had gained much favor in the hills of Qumran outside of Jerusalem and a stone's throw from the north shores of the Dead Sea. He made a name for himself as a prophet and many claimed that when he spoke they could see flames shoot from his mouth which made me chuckle.

Qumran was home to the Essene community which I visited a few times prior. I enjoyed their hospitality but refrained from saying much in their presence. My ideas of God and interpretation of scripture typically did not match up with their fundamentalist beliefs. While they were kind at one turn, they could be cruel and extremely judgmental if you did not follow their very strict and circuitous rules. But my heart was pulling me toward John and especially toward his preaching around the Holy Spirit.

I sat in meditation for many days and contemplated whether to go down to see him or to extend an invitation to have him come up to Galilee. Eventually after feeling guidance from the Holy Spirit it seemed best for me to visit with John the Baptist as well as the Essene community leaders at the same time. It felt appropriate for all of our ideas to come together for one big God festival, so to speak.

I rounded up our usual cast of characters: Mary, Thomas, Peter, Isaah, Mariam, Ruth, Thaddaeus, Peter, James, John, Matthew and Stephen. We made the long journey from Nazareth to Qumran without much fanfare. Just occasionally healing the sick – sick of mind and body. Nothing special.

Upon our arrival, we were greeted by several elders at the entrance of the community. We followed Essene tradition and introduced ourselves to each other and proclaimed our devotion to God. Next we all cleansed our heads and hands in one set of cleansing bowls followed a second set of bowls used to cleanse the feet.

Once we were properly cleansed they asked us to change into simple white linens that represented the values the Essene community held which purification, simplicity and devotion to God.

They also reminded us not to wear sandals within the community since "We are with God in our most natural state with nature" I decided that this would be the perfect place to start my interrogation of their logic.

"If sandals are not preferred, than surely my white robing also is considered an interference with my communion with God. I shall take that off as well." I began disrobing. I could hear Thomas, Stephen, and Phillip gasp behind me.

"What in heavens are you doing?" cried one of the elders. He had identified himself earlier as Nicodemus, and he definitely seemed like he was going to be the most vocal of the elders.

"Well, I just assumed that if sandals would get in the way of communing with God, then surely my clothing would as well. Would that not be correct, elder?"

"That is ridiculous. Why would you declare such a thing? Are you sure you are a rabbi? Nakedness would surely only encourage weaker community members to break one of the commandments!"

"Oh. I see. Clothing is required to keep commandments. But sandals are not. Do I have it correct now?"

"Are you mocking us, young Rabbi?"

"Elder, I am merely trying to understand the Essene rules. I have been long absent from your community and wish to honor as well as understand. You may have heard that my ways are a little different than yours."

Nicodemus scowled. "Yes, we did receive word of your differences, but John the Baptist assured us of your similarities as well, which is why we brought you into our community, which we expect you will honor and appreciate."

"But of course, elder. I meant no disrespect. We all honor the same Father. In fact, our group did not have time to pray this morning before we left. May we have time for prayer before any formal visitation activities you may have planned?"