Jeshua - Chapter 23

When I received news that my cousin Lazarus was ill, I sat in meditation, off and on, for a couple of days.

"Master, your beloved cousin Lazarus has passed away. Do you want me to bring you to where he is?" John asked as he touched my shoulder.

Without opening my eyes, I answered, "My brother is here"—I pointed to my heart—"and here." I motioned with my arms to indicate he was everywhere.

"Of course, Master. May I take you to where his body lies entombed?"

I opened my eyes and looked at John. With a gentle smile, I answered, "Yes, John."

We resided in Jerusalem and needed to make the journey to Bethany. John was to accompany me, along with Mary, Peter, James, Thomas, and Isaah. Everyone was fully prepared to travel when they heard the news of Lazarus taking ill.

Lazarus was my beloved cousin and someone who truly understood what I had learned over the years. He was quick to smile or laugh—he had an infectious laugh. So many would be saddened by his passing, especially his sister Martha.

As we walked to Bethany, I could tell that my group of friends seemed confused as to why I did not leave for Bethany any sooner. They were most likely wondering why I had not journeyed to heal my beloved cousin. I looked over at Mary, who gave an acknowledging nod. She understood what I was planning to demonstrate. Her connection with the Holy Spirit was as strong as mine.

During my days of deep meditation, I was in full connection with the Holy Spirit. Connected at that level, I could communicate with Lazarus's spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Great Comforter. We were able to send him messages of peace and love. Lazarus, in turn, was able to make a peaceful transition out of his body. In this state I was able to ask him to wait for my arrival at Bethany.

Truth be told, those who have reached a high state of enlightenment transition out of their bodies very easily, often discovering that their spirit lives are not much different from their lives as bodies for a period before they either continue on or achieve their final state of forgiveness and are returned fully into Heaven.

Our journey to Bethany was uneventful, other than some impending wonderment from my traveling companions. However, no questions were asked about the timing of our journey. By now, my friends could tell when I was preparing to demonstrate.

Upon our arrival, we went to see Lazarus's sisters, Martha and Mary. Martha was a very devoted woman to her family and had a love for scripture, which meant she did not necessarily have a lot of love for me. It would be easy to say she barely tolerated me while Lazarus was by my side.

We arrived by midafternoon and walked into Martha's home, which was filled with the sobbing moans of those in mourning. Many of Lazarus's friends were lined up along the stone walls and floors. Their heads were bent down in respect, as mourners were allowed their time to release emotions in any way they felt appropriate.

There was one wail in particular that grabbed all of our attention as we tried to cram our way inside. John, Peter, Thomas, and Isaah chose to remain outside for the moment because Martha's home was overflowing with hot, sweaty bodies and wailing.

Mary and I picked our way through the crowd of legs and torsos. Many faces recognized us, and a murmur broke through the room. Martha was so deep in her remorse that she did not take notice. Mary held on to my arm as we approached.

"Dear cousin, we have arrived with glad tidings," I announced.

Martha caught herself in mid-wail, slowly pulled her head up from her bent position, and glowered at me. Her eyes were so puffy it was difficult to recognize her at first. Her gray-streaked black hair was scattered and running across her face. Her right hand held a large and well-used cloth for her tears; it was saturated. It looked as if she had been crying for years.