Mary Magdalene - Chapter 29

Years after we were married, Jeshua and I decided to take some time from our travels and teachings. We left many of those who had been following us on the northeast side of the Sea of Galilee at Bethsaida Julias. Thomas, Isaah, Thaddaeus, Stephen, Phillip, Mariam, and Ruth went with Jeshua and me back to Magdala.

We were able to find a fisherman who was willing to sail us across the north end of the sea so that we would not have to walk the many miles to my home village. Along the way, Jeshua and I asked our friends about what they had learned. We asked them to describe what God's Kingdom was like, how to practice forgiveness, how to see our brothers and sisters, and how to communicate with God.

Thomas stumbled over some of his explanations, and Jeshua, feigning disappointment, would joke, "Well, I guess women really are smarter than men. Thanks for demonstrating that."

Thomas blushed and retorted, "I am your scribe, not an orator. You're the fancy speaker and performer of miracles."

Jeshua laughed and then placed his arm around me. "Don't forget about your sister Rabbi Mary. She too is a speaker for God and miracle-performer."

Stephen laughed. "Yeah, even if you did have to help her, she still healed that lame woman. What have you done, Thomas?"

Thomas thought for a moment and then said, "Well, I have turned wine within my cup into air many times." He looked around the boat proudly. We all laughed, and Isaah snorted, which made us laugh even longer and harder. She blushed and tried to make herself stop laughing, which only resulted in more snorts and our laughing hysterically. The fisherman joined in, and before long we were all holding our stomachs and saying, "No more!"

When we calmed like the waters on which we were sailing, Jeshua looked over at Stephen. "My brother, by day's end you will see your sister Mary perform another miracle."

"Master, I did not mean anything by what I said. I was just joking around. I—" He stopped as Jeshua held up his hand.

"Don't worry, my guilty brother; you are forgiven." He gave Stephen a wink, and the group started laughing again, except for me.

I gave Jeshua one of my stares, knowing full well he could tell I was looking at him. He would always pretend he didn't notice until he eventually turned to look at me and faked surprise. "Oh, Mary, do you have a question?" Then he would raise his right eyebrow at me with a playful smile.

I had an inkling as to what he was hinting at, but instead of asking, I paused, thinking it would be best to enjoy our journey across Galilee and simply wait and see.

Jeshua walked over to give me a hug. The others went about their conversations, looking out across the water. Magdala was now in view on the horizon, and we had about an hour left to our journey.

"Lovely Mary," Jeshua said as he brushed strands of hair away from my eyes. "You have applied all that we have learned together, and your connection with the Father is so strong."

My face went hot, and I instinctively lowered my head from the praises. Jeshua cupped my chin in his warm hand and lifted my face to his. "There is no need to be embarrassed or ashamed for what is true. Own what you have learned and never apologize for the gifts that the Father has granted you. This is your birthright."

In that moment, all sense of guilt, shame, and fear faded. I felt my body start to melt away, as I had experienced numerous times when I connected with Mother as spirit. I sat upright and looked into Jeshua's eyes, which were filled with so much love and caring. My heart was not beating fast, but I felt an enormous amount of energy around it in this moment.

"There. You have found the source of true loving power. Stay in this moment. Trust that this can be yours for eternity. Yes?"

I did not feel the experience going away, so I nodded my head.