Jeshua - Chapter 27

After our midday meal, several of us gathered in the shade under a cluster of acacia trees. A few of my friends had brought some of their acquaintances from the nearby town we were passing through on our way to Jerusalem. I could feel the eagerness of the small gathering to ask questions, and I brought everyone together in a small circle so that we could meditate together.

"How many have ever meditated?" I asked of our little group.

John, Thomas, James, Matthew, Peter, and Mary raised their hands. Our new acquaintances looked around sheepishly but did not raise their hands. There were four men and one woman. We had learned their names as Ezra (friend of John), Stephen and Ruth (friends of Peter), David (friend of Ezra's), and John of Sepphoris, who knew of my mother.

"There is no need to be ashamed or in fear. You will find this to be an enjoyable experience. As the five of you are new to this, I will help guide you into the meditation. We will be in this state for several minutes. I will let you know when we are complete, and then we can have a discussion about your experiences or questions. Sounds good?"

All nodded their heads except for Ezra. He looked concerned as he tugged on his beard and shifted his weight back and forth. "Rabbi, I desperately want to experience what you are teaching throughout Judea, but what if I cannot meditate? What if God is not there to welcome me?"

"Very good questions, Ezra. Mary, would you like to answer?"

Mary reached over and took my hand. The men looked noticeably surprised at the display of affection but did not say anything.

"Yes, my love," Mary answered, strong and sure of herself. "First, I will say that there is no right or wrong way to meditate. Your experience is your experience. Just allow your mind to do whatever it needs to do. We only ask that you do not grab on to any thoughts and perpetuate them. Do your best to let your thoughts run out of your mind until there are no more. This may not be possible on your first try, but that is the goal—to start." Mary gently looked to the five new gatherers.

Ezra still tugged on his beard. "Thank you, dear sister. That is helpful. But I have come to understand that you both teach your followers how to connect with God. How can I do that? We were never taught that. We were taught that only privileged priests could perform this type of ritual."

Mary looked to me, and I nodded for her to continue. "God wants to communicate with all of His Sons and Daughters. He would be lost if even one of his Children was absent from Him. To connect, all you need to do is want or will the connection. You just need to take the first step and be willing. Mother will do the rest."

I kissed Mary on the cheek, which made the men uncomfortable again. The four of them unconsciously shifted their weight as they sat.

"Beautifully said, my love," I exclaimed, smiling at everyone. "I will also help guide you through the connection part. We will be working with the Holy Spirit to help you with that. Are you all familiar with the Holy Spirit?"

At first the group started to nod, but then they slowly stopped and looked at each other. David looked to Mary. "I will admit I have heard the words, but I do not understand the meaning of Holy Spirit."

Mary held my hand tightly, so I squeezed hers, signaling it was still her turn to explain. I loved to listen to her teach, and this group seemed open enough to allow that.

"Thank you for opening yourself up. That is a very important part of working with the Holy Spirit. For the Holy Spirit is the bridge between your split mind and the whole Mind of God. It is the Voice that calls to you, constantly summoning you back to God. It is the Great Comforter who can heal all of your pain and worries. It is the aspect of you that is completely whole and healed. It will serve you well to learn to hand any of your grievances over to the Holy Spirit so they can be properly healed and used for God's plan."