A New Morning

Isha woke up with a start. These days its always like that, waking up in fear and anxiety. However, the long arms that was splayed across her waist did soothe her a bit. Indra was awake and lazily tracing circular patterns around her navel. In an instant, the whole night, and everything before that came flooding back to her. She was completely mortified, but deep down, there was low hum of satisfaction flowing through her body. She lay quiet, trying to analyse her feelings. 

'Good Morning!'

She ignored him. But it was hard to ignore a man when he is lying naked beside you. It become even harder when the same man leans in and presses a very wet, hot kiss on your shoulder. Isha sprang up and gathered the sheets around her. Indra had no such inhibition. He lazily stood up, stretched, put his boxers on his shoulders and walked buck naked into the bathroom, leaving a very flustered Isha on the bed. 

Isha took this chance to locate her nightie and quickly got dressed. This man is going to drive her crazy!

Indra came out looking smart in t-shirt and shorts. He had already taken a shower and was looking fantastic. Isha dragged her glance back.

'Get a shower and get dressed.'

Isha replied without looking at him.

'Why? I am not going down for breakfast. Some one will bring it up to me'

'No, you will get dressed and we will go down for breakfast together. Your parents are also here. After breakfast we are going to go shopping to Kolkata'

Isha suddenly got scared thinking about meeting other people. This room was her refuge.

'Why are we going to Kolkata?'

Indra looked straight in her eyes and said carefully.

'We are going to have a proper marriage ceremony in a weeks time. We both need clothes for that. Then we will go for our honeymoon. Where do you want to go?'

Isha quietly went to stand before him.

'I am not going anywhere'

Indra looked like he was expecting this answer.

'Then I will take you to the bathroom and give a bath to you. Believe me I will enjoy every moment of it'

'You wouldn't dare, you ba...', she trailed off, having no intention of insulting her parents.

Indra grinned.

'So what's it's going to be? A quickie in the bathroom or you go get dressed quickly'

Isha knew he meant every word of it. She hastily took her clothes and slammed the bathroom door closed. She came out wearing a blouse and petticoat. She quickly put on the sarree, quiet aware of him watching her every move. After dressing she sat in front of the mirror to do her makeup. Indra waited patiently. Isha stood up to leave, but Indra stopped her. He took the sindur from the dresser and put a long red streak in her mang. 

'Come' he said simply.

Breakfast has already started when they came down. No one paid them any extra attention, and for that Isha was grateful. The men were almost finished. Ishaan stood up and made room for them. Isha noticed that her parents were there as well. For a moment she was unsure of what to do. But then a soft pressure on her hands brought her attention back to the man standing next to her, holding her hand. His warm glance filled her with a strange sense of calm. She walked ahead and greeted everybody.

'Good morning! Mum, Dad, I believe you have met Indra.' she paused and added 'My husband'.

Her parents took in her look and expression with some surprise. It was not hard to guess who had brought the glow in their daughters face. They smiled in reluctant acceptance at Indra.

Indra came forward,

'We have met. As I was telling you, we have done some planning for the wedding. But we are waiting for some inputs from you.'

Isha stared at the plate that was in front of her. In reality she was very tired, both physically and emotionally. She looked up at the expectant faces of the people around her and felt guilty for not feeling the same joy that she should be feeling. 

'I just want some peace and quiet', Isha said calmly.

Indra gave her a thoughtful look. Isha's Mum spoke up. 

'You have brought enough shame on the family. It's time you do what is right for us. Get married and then we will leave you alone. Have you ever wondered how much we have suffered these last few day?'

Isha winced. Indra's hands clenched on his glass.

Her Mum continued.

'If the word gets around that you are married, we will face lots of questions. We had already told some people about your upcoming marriage with Nitin. How are we going to face the world. And if the word get around about the sexual assault, we will be ruined.'

Isha's Dad threw a warning glance at her Mum, 

'You have brought enough shame upon the family. Now you will do just as we wish'

One single tear escaped from Isha's eyes. The sight made Indra furious. He did not raise his voice, but the menace in his voice was obvious.

'Isha is not going anywhere. She will stay with us, as this is her home now. The wedding will be planned according to her wishes. If she wants a simple wedding, that can be arranged.'

Isha's Mum seethed in silence. Isha's Dad cast an approving glance at Indra. But Indra had eyes only for Isha. Her slight smile was all he wanted to see.