Resolve

The walk back from school sometimes seems endless to Isha. It did not help that when she arrived the house looks deserted. Everyone retreats inside to take a break from the sun that has decided to deliver a parting shot become winter arrives in the region. Isha has to negotiate half a mile through village roads that are bordered by fields on both sides, hence offer little protection from the sun. However, it gives her an opportunity to see the the horizon on both ends. 

Today was no exception. She could almost feel the sun draw patterns on her back. In the distance she could see the few scattered trees that mark the beginning of the forest. She wondered if this is the same forest Indra had gone into that night. The memories of that night came flooding back to her mind. What exactly happened that night?

She has not seen Indra after that night. For past 2 weeks he has locked himself in the library. The only time she saw him was during dinner. He, however, gave no indication that he had seen her. Dinner was swift and any conversation he had was only with his father and uncle. Isha could sense a restlessness in him which was not there earlier. She was not sure, but she coukd feel that the other members have also grown wary of his current mood.

By the time Isha reached the sanctuary of her room, she was exhausted. After putting down her bag, she headed for the shower. The cool water almost put her to sleep. She often wondered why theycould not fit a bed under the shower. She jerked herself awake and doned a soft salwar kameez and headed for the bed. She never slept in the day. But this was the time when she spent a carefree hour chatting with her mother. She knew her parents eagerly waited for a call from her everyday. They could not wait for the school quarter to get repaired. Then they could come and help her get settled.

Everyday the evening tea was served in her room. Today shedragged her chair out on the terrace and flipped out her mobile phone. Mum can be very impatient at times. Already the display showed three missed calls from her mother. The tranquility of the lake and the greenery around surprised her with their healing capabilities. There was a peace in her nowadays that was not there before. 

'We need to ask you something', was the first thing Mum told her. She sounded serious. 

'Yes, tell me'.

'We have received a proposal for your hand. You won't believe who it's from,' her mother gushed excitedly.

Ishan stopped breathing. For a moment all her thought turned towards Indra.

'Nitin!' Her mothers reply was like a ton of ice falling on her. 'Nitin' she thought. Runa never mentioned it. Does she even know about it?

She could hear her mother chatting away. She forced her mind back to the conversation.

'It seems they all know about the incident two years ago and are convinced that you are innocent. That's just an unfortunate incident afterall. They have known you for so long and love you like a daughter. We have never met Nitin. What is he like?'

Isla's heart sank a little as she heard the excitement in her mothers voice. She had given up any hopes of getting her daughter married. And now somebody from such a nice family has approached them. This is very good news for them.

Her mother wanted to know about Nitin. But this was all too much for Isha. She made some vague replies and hastily cut the conversation, telling her Mum that she needs to call Runa.

'I know what you two are going to talk about! Goodnight sweetheart! TAlk to you soon.Isha hastily placed a call to Runa.

'Its me, Isha. I need to ask you some thing.'

'I know what you need to ask me. I knew about it for sometime now, but did not want to be the one to tell you. '

'You could have warned me, or discouraged your parents. Why did you let them talk to my parents.' Isha finished in a rush.

Her queries were greeted with deafening silence on the other end. Isha knew her allegations were a bit unfair, but she could not believe her friend got her into this situation.

'They  told me after talking to your parents, Isha. But, tell me, Isha, what is the matter. Nitin is a nice boy. You know my family, and they simply adore you. And you can actually spend some time together before you give your final decision. Just give yourself a chance.'

Isha could not believe it. 

'Runa you know that's impossible', breathed Isha.

'Isha, its time you move on. A small incident cannot control your whole life. That marriage was a child's play. Who believes that it happened? Surely not Indra.'

Isha was about to launch a strong defence for Indra when reality set in. Can her encounter with Indra called a loving relationship. Without love what is value of rituals?

'Give yourself a chance Isha. Move on'

Runa's words stayed with Isha well into the night. She began looking at her surroundings and the people around her in new light. The difference in the fortunes of her family and the Banerjee's were enormous. Dies she really fit in? Usha's words were true, she is a tenant here, a guest for a few days. Eventually, she will move on.