Wedding bells

Isha was looking beautiful. Red saree, gold jewellery, garlands of fresh flower, everything looked perfect. The only thing that was missing was a smile. Indra's mind drifted back to their first wedding. That time he was spitting fire, this time it's her. He only hoped he lived to see another day.

Isha glared at Indra. He was looking absolutely gorgeous. With white dhoti and Kurta, complete with a garland, he looked like a prince from the olden days. He was also looking very different. She could not be very sure about it, but he was looking much younger, carefree and happy. 

She had refused to talk to him since last night. After the phone calls, Indra had handed over her suitcase. But he had refused to leave her side. He had filled the room with his presence. She felt slightly irritated to have him around doing absolutely nothing. She was also getting very bored. But Indra looked like he was enjoying every moment of it.  

Isha checked her make up for the hundredth time and tried to curb her curiosity. A million questions flooded her mind. Where is she getting married, in this room? If he lets her out can she escape? If there is a registrar, will he help her? Are there going to be any witnesses?

'If you are planning to escape, or seek help from the registrar, let me remind you that I still have your photographs'

How did he read her mind? Did she speak aloud?

Resisting the urge to throttle him, Isha glanced around the room to find something to do.

As if on a cue, Indra stood up and stretched languidly. Every muscle ripped as he moved his arms. The material stretched over his chest, making him look very big and dangerous. Isha glance shifted to the bed. Is it where she will spend the night today? Will he be gentle?

'Come'

Indra had an electric torch in one hand and keys in another. He opened the door with the keys.  Outside, a dark corridor greeted them. If it was not for the light, it would have been pitch dark. Indra guided her to a circular stair that ran against the wall. The wall was filled with moss and other slimy things that Isha did not even wish to think about. And then there was the smell. Horrible damp smell that seemed to envelope everything. They climbed 30 odd steps to reach the roof. At this point they were crouching. Indra banged on the roof above. It opened to reveal a trap door. The faint light that was coming from the room reavealed six or seven armed men sitting around a table. They all stood up and greeted Indra. They completely ignored Isha, making her wonder if she was invisible.

Indra led her to more stairs at the end of the room. They started climbing again. Again the roof revealed another door that led to another room full of gaurds. This time Isha recognised a few familiar faces she had seen in the Banerjee mansion.  The room was again very dark but did not smell so bad. This room was bigger and had more natural light, although much of it is coming through the trap door abouve. Isha prepared herself for more climbing. The room above resembled any stylish office found in the cities. It also had windows, although they were boarded up. The light was coming from holes made near the very high ceilings.

The room was lighted with soft lamps and had sofas and comfortable looking arms chairs. There was also a big table. At the table sat a very bored looking gentleman. There was another gentleman who looked like a lawyer. Neither looked up as the duo approached the table. Isha was seriously doubting if she was visible at all.

The unreal silence of the room was punctured by a harsh clanging sound. Isha jumped and instinctively reached for Indra. Indra caught her hand and patted it gently. The sound was coming from near the ceiling. A few clangs later, an iron trap door opened to let in a bout of fresh sea breeze. Isha breathed in the delicious smell of the sky, forest and the sea. In a moment,, the opening was covered with the arms and legs which were trying to gain some purchase on a narrow ledge under the door. Isha Now noticed the narrow ledge ran all the way down to the floor with a zig-zag pattern. The owner successfully stepped on the ledge. In the soft light, Isha recognised Indra's father. He was followed by Indra's uncle and finally Ishaan. 

It was hilarious to watch the trio making their precarious way down the narrow ledge. Finally they reached the ground.

'Never thought reaching my son's wedding would be so difficult' Avik added a bit breathlessly.

Ishaan smiled weakly at Isha. Isha ignored him completely and looked away. The registrar surveyed the scene with utmost indifference. When all were seated, he took out two sheets of papers and showed the couple where they should sign. With shaking fingers Osha signed the documents. Avik and Ishaan signed as witnesses. 

'It will take a week for you to get the marriage certificate.'

Indra thanked the man and everyone shook hands. To Isha it looked like a successful business meeting has concluded. Avik turned to Isha.

'Welcome to the family. We are overjoyed.' 

Isha was astounded. Nobody in this room looked surprised or upset. Did she miss something? 

Ishaan came forward and gave Isha a hug. Isha stiffened. Ishaan noticed her withdrawal and moved back. 

'In good time, I will explain everything to you' said Ishaan softly.

Isha did not answer him. She turned away to see Indra watching them with a slight smile. As she glared at him, he came forward and took out a small box from his pocket. From it he pulled out a  ring and unceremoniously put it on her finger. In the soft light his eyes glowed possesively. 

A soft cough brought them out of their thoughts.

Avik smiled at the scene.

'We need to leave now. Are you coming with us?' The question was directed at Indra. He shook his head.

'I will come after a couple of days'

'You will be missed' Avik's tone held a slight warning.

'Yes. I know'

Avik smiled and waved goodbye. Ishaan too waved goodbye.

As the men departed, Isha was left alone in the room with Indra, with only her heartbeat as her companion. 

'Now what'

'Honeymoon'