Stars Cast Their Magic

Indra had settled into a deep sleep after the meal. Isha was back in her room now. She had had dinner without tasting anything. Now she lay on her bed thinking, about all the time she had spent with Indra, all the things they had said and done to each other. Her mind seemed to be drunk on those memories. 

She was not needed in Indra's room. Anubha was there before Ishaan had taken over. Isha longed to be by his side. The pull was so strong that she felt she might walk to his room in her sleep. 

After tossing and turning for an hour, Isha gave up. She wrapped a shawl around her nightdress and slowly opened the door leading to the terrace. The night was very dark. Diwali was round the corner and the night sky had only stars tonight. Isha reached Indra's room and gave the door a slight push. She did not expect it to open, but it did. Inside the room was dimly lit by a faint night lamp. She could see Ishaan slumped over the back of a chair, snoring adoringly. 

Isha tiptoed to the bedside and sneaked a peak at the occupant. He was not there. Where on earth is he? 

Isha cast a quick glance around the room, but could not see anything. However, much of the room was in darkness. Suddenly, Isha felt his presence. She could not hear or see him, but was sure he was hidden in the shadows near the table. 

Sensing Isha's realisation, a dense shadow stirred himself from the corner and moved stealthily to the bed. He gently pulled Isha into a shadowy corner and pushed her gently into one of the armchairs. 

As Isha made a move to speak, Indra out a finger in her lips. He moved away.

He slowly shaked Ishaan awake.

'Go, get some sleep. I am alright now, no fever. Come back tomorrow morning.'

Ishaan did not fail to notice the command in his voice. He nodded and left without a backward glance. Indra bolted both the doors.

Now they were locked in. The thought gave Isha a slight shiver. Indra, however, did not amake a move toward her. He promptly got in his bed and pulled the cover upto his chin.

'What took you so long?'

Isha slowly crept to the bed. There were no chairs, so she sat down at the foot. 

'You were not alone. I sis not want to intrude. How are you feeling right now? Do you want me to close the windows?'

'No, I always leave them open. There are no trees blocking the view. I can see so many stars from here.' 

Isha crept closer. She tried but could not separate the night sky in the darkness outside. Indra gently pulled her to lie beside him. 

'Look without blinking. Your eyes will adjust to the darkness and you will see'

Isha could barely breathe this close to Indra. But she schooled her mind and concentrated on the sky outside. True enough, the sky was dotted with stars, some were small. Some were blinking. 

'Do you see them?'

'Yes'

Indra smiled at the wonder in her voice. He put an arm around her and softly settled her on his pillow. In a low voice he began pointing out the various constellations, the planets and the occasional shooting star. Isha snuggled closer, soaking in the warmth and softness. Her heart was beating a steady drum, her fingers curled trustingly into his shirt, all her doubts forgotten, all barriers down.

 Was this love? Has she done the only thing she had vowed never to do? When this night ends will this be a dream? Can he feel the magic too?

Indra could not believe how good it felt to hold her in his arms. Tonight there was none of the complication that had marred their relation so far. They have always connected well in the dark. 

Neither could remember who fell asleep first. One moment thy were talking, next moment they were sleeping like babies. There was a calm in the air that hummed with satisfaction.

Anubha was always an early riser. She always managed to fill her days with numerous activities, some centered around her home, some around her children. This morning was no exception.

She had an early bath and finished her puja. She had delegated her other duties this morning to keep an eye o Indra. She knew that he had worked last morning, which had worsened his condition. Today she intended to stand guard in person. 

When she reached her son's room, she found the room bolted from inside. That's unusual. Her son always wakes up before 5:00, even if he did not sleep a wink the night before. Is his condition more serious.

The thought made her heart sink. She parted the window curtains to check on her son. The room was flooded with the early morning sun. The window was open, bringing in the early morning chill. Anubha reminded herself to close that window tonight. The thoughts stopped as her glance went to the bed. Her son was fast asleep, and so was his companion. There was no mistaking the intimacy of the sight. It was clear that they had spent the night together.

Anubha composed herself and returned to her room. She had never expected her son to be interested in any girl. When did these two get so close? And how far has the relation progressed? She still could not believe Isha could be so bold. The girl looked so timid. What about her impending marriage.

All these thoughts kept swirling in her mind. She is not someone who jumps to conclusions easily. Her decided to wait and watch these two closely. Her sense of propriety and family values  cannot support their actions. Her suddenly felt at loss. Why did her children grow up so fast!