Chapter 32

December 12, 2011 / 8:00 am

Since it was the weekend and he wasn't making appearances at the house for weekly dinners, Hikaru had to wait until the following Monday to figure out anything about the alleged closing of the clinic. Christopher wasn't a prankster and his eyes at the time were extremely serious. Hikaru wanted to get to the end of this. Feet brought him to his father's office to which the door was cracked open. Hikaru knocked once before entering inside.

Ryutaro gave his son a surprised glance. He wasn't expecting to see him since their relationship became so strained. Sitting back and crossing his fingers in front of him, he regarded Hikaru. Hikaru gave a quick respectful bow and then got to the point.

"Otou-san. I have heard things."

Ryutaro's eyes widened and he replied, "Things. Things that have to do with you or me?"

Hikaru wasn't exactly sure of that just yet. "Possibly." He was a bit surprised that his father didn't just come out and say it. Why must he always have to drag things out? His father sighed as if he read Hikaru's mind.

"Then spit it out, Hikaru. I don't have all day."

The defining moment...

Hikaru leaned his hands on the desk with an inquisitive look. "Are you closing the clinic?"

"Yes."

A floored mouth appeared on Hikaru's face. The answer was quick and absolute. Christopher was right all along. Hikaru backed away from his father's desk with his hands out in question. "Yes?! What do you mean? Why?" Ryutaro stood slowly to face his son fully. "Why so many questions? It's my building and I'll do as I see fit with it!"

This wasn't a pissing contest and Hikaru meant to show it. "Actually it's Jii-chan's building. You just watch over it!" He said, fixing his sleeve cuff calmly and meeting his father's eyes with an intimidating stare.

Ryutaro was speechless at the retort and he cleared his throat while straightening his suit. A mannerism that they both possessed. His eyes pierced his son's once again, full of angry fire. Hikaru's gaze back was just as heated. "How did I raise such a disrespectful son?"

"You don't want to know the answer to that question." Hikaru scoffed shaking his head with a tiny smirk. Ryu almost lost it.

"Hikaru..." He warned in a shaky voice.

Hikaru took note of his father's growing anger and decided to defuse it. He wanted to be the bigger person in this situation. He tried to go for the heart. "What about everyone that already works here? Shae and Kinly? Anna Jane? The other two doctors that share these offices with us? They aren't as well off as we are. They can't just continue their life in happiness, you know?"

His explanation fell on either two deaf ears or one cold heart. His father wasn't at all moved. "How does that matter to me and mine?"

Shaking his head, Hikaru couldn't believe what he was hearing. Was this man truly his father? This selfish cold individual? He finally tried to dig deep to get his father see clearly about his decision.

"All this talk about honor. This has to be one of the most dishonorable things you've ever done. I..."

Ryutaro's voice boomed through the office, halting Hikaru's words where they were in his mouth. "I have earned my honor! You have yet to regain yours, son. That's the difference between us and don't you forget it." Tension rose as father and son kept their stares.

The barb of his lost honor stung Hikaru to his core. Was he ever going to reclaim it in his father's eyes? This whole situation was futile and with nothing more to say, Hikaru turned around to walk out of the office that now seemed too smothering to be inside of.