Chapter 27- Haunted Memories

Start from the beginning

I plopped myself down in the winged chair, leaning back and smacking my head on the back head cushion. Vanderwood stripped himself of his gloves and threw them off to the side before disappearing off into the next room.

I ran a hand through my hair as I glanced down at my hands as my fingers on my right traced over the white bandages on my left.
I let out a long sigh as I did so.
"Do you know about palm reading?... Here let me show you."
My eyes widened as his voice rang through my head. Sitting on my hands my eyes darted to the floor.
I don't get it...
I really don't.

Heavy footsteps entered the room as Vanderwood came back. Glancing over my shoulder I watched as he walked over to the couch and grabbed a roll of gauze before approaching me.

He knelt down in front of me, "Give me your leg." he sighed reaching out.

"What?" I asked, my eyes widening. "No."

"Those wounds are bound to get infected if you leave them open."

"Does it really look like I care?" I snarled, crossing my legs.

"I don't care if you don't care, it'll be a burden to the rest of us if it gets infected." Vanderwood retorted, reaching his hand out to grab my leg. Right as I pulled back I felt his fingers brush against my skin.

"Don't touch me!" I shouted, jumping to my feet.
"Do not touch me," I growled once more.
"Explain to me how the hell it would it be a burden to you?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.
"I can take care of myself." His eyes widened in shock at my sudden burst of anger, before twisting into a look of annoyance. "If it gets infected it's on me! It's none of your business! Just leave me alone!"

"Fine," he spat, placing the roll of gauze back down on the table.
"Do it yourself then. I have work to do."
Standing up Vanderwood grabbed his gloves and slid his hands back into them before making his way out of the room.
"I'm going to bed, it's going on 5 AM, I'd suggest you do the same," he said before leaving the room, leaving me to myself.

What the hell was that?
Reaching down to my leg I rubbed the spot where Vanderwoods fingers had brushed against my leg.
It felt as if bugs were crawling on my skin and the only way to make them go was by rubbing the spot.

After a few seconds I let out a long sigh, people are stupid. Standing up from my seat I began to gather the medical supplies and throw them into open med kit, before closing it and tossing it off to the side.

Lying down on the couch I stared up at the ceiling. It was dead silent other than the quiet crackling of the fireplace. It's so quiet...
I thought to myself as I rolled onto my side.
I guess... everyone is either asleep or doing something.
Staring at the fire I watched as the flames seemed to dance around, never staying still for all that long. The fire seemed to comfort me, I found the flames oddly calming to watch.
Letting out yet another sigh I rolled back onto my back.
It's funny to think...
I've been gone for about eight hours...
and yet...
it feels like
forever.
Reaching my hands up to my head I pressed the palms of my hands into my eyes.
Stop thinking about it (Y/n), you're free now. You left all that behind you...
it's better to forget it all and move on...
moving my hands away from my eyes I stared up at my hands and the white bandages that encased them.
I don't get any of this...
why did these people let me stay?
I'm basically a stranger to them and yet...
here I am....
They're stupid and careless...
being kind gets you nowhere... in this world, you have to fight to survive...
there's no time to worry about others...
because...
in the end....
We all end up alone...