My love story ended even before it began.

As if he was ever going to fall for you, you idiot.

I didn't realise when I started sobbing on my pillow. The thought of Chris ignoring me and never being in my life again hurt more than the thought of coming into Hunter's focus again. It totally ripped my heart apart.

Suddenly I heard a knock on my window. I froze.

No. It can't be. It can't be Hunter.

I started to panic. The knocking continued, making me more paranoid by the second. I was about to scream when I heard a familiar voice call out.

"Princess! Ssh ssh! It's me. Chris."

I sighed out of relief and slumped on the bed. He knocked again and I got off, going towards the window. Opening it, I saw the man who I fell for, giving me an easy smile.

"Hey angel! May I come in?"

His easy smile and soothing voice calmed me down as well as fluttered my heart. I wordlessly nodded.

I moved back and he jumped inside my room. He looked at me, from head to toe. I realised I was only in a pair of shorts and tank top and blushed.

"Uh sorry. I wasn't expecting anyone." I said and he chuckled.

Even before I could say anything again, he pulled me into a bone crushing hug. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. My heart was beating so fast I was afraid it would come out.

"I'm so so glad you're fine Princess. So so glad. You scared the shit out of me." He buried his face in my neck and mumbled. His hot breath tickled my neck and hitched my breath.

I slowly lifted my hands and wrapped around his torso. He hugged me closer and pulled me into his arms, with my hands around his neck and legs around his waist. I blushed at the intimacy and hid my face in the crook of his neck. His chest vibrated with laughter as he carried me to my bed.

"Ssshhh! You'll wake up Mom and Dad!" I whisper yelled.

He immediately shut up and got on the bed along with me. I tried to get out of his arms, embarrassed by the closeness. But he pulled me back into his chest and hid his face in the crook of my neck.

With my back to his chest, in this intimate position, I felt a kind of security I haven't felt in a long time. I felt protected, safe. Even though it seemed so wrong, it felt so right.

We laid on my bed in silence. I didn't know what to say. What was I even supposed to say? 'Hey, I know you know my story now. So yeah, do you hate me?'

I mentally face palmed myself. Great Jas. Just great.

"Princess?" Chris whispered in my ear. I 'hmm'ed'.

"I know what you're thinking right now. And no, my respect and adoration for you hasn't come down. In fact, it has increased. You got so much shit, yet you came out strong. Not many people can do that. But you did. You're much stronger than you give yourself credit for. I'm so proud of you, Jas."

His words brought tears to my eyes and I sniffed. I turned in his arms to face him. I looked into his eyes and saw them already looking at me. His eyes were full of so much adoration I choked on emotion. I hugged him tight.

"Why didn't you come and visit?" I asked sullenly.

"I'm so sorry Jas. I did come to visit you but you were sleeping. And today I was busy with your case. So I didn't get time. That's why I came now. I hope you don't mind." He said sadly.

"Y-you're working on my case?" I asked incredulously. It was Robert's case.

"Yeah I am. I won't rest until I give that bastard what he deserves." He said angrily. My heart soared at his words.

"Thank you. Thank you so much Chris." I choked.

"Hey hey Princess! Hey, don't cry. And don't thank me. I would do anything for you." He said and pecked my forehead.

I closed my eyes and savoured the moment. I don't know what we are. I don't know what relationship we have. Maybe it's just friendship from his side, but it's so much for me. And I can't tell him.

I didn't say anything. I didn't want to ruin the moment. Whatever we had, I wanted to savour and cherish this as long as I had it within the grasp of my hands. Because I know I won't get it for forever. He would never see me as anything more than a sister. And even though it hurts, I'll live with it. I just want to live in this moment. In his arms.

In the arms of the man I fell in love with.

"Sleep Princess." Chris whispered in my ear.

"I'm afraid." I whimpered.

"I'll be here. I won't go anywhere. I'll be here when you wake up." He said.

"Promise?" I asked, unsure.

He gave a lingering kiss on my forehead and mumbled against my forehead, "Promise."

I closed my eyes and snuggled into his chest. He wrapped his arms around me protectively.

In that moment, I felt safe. No Hunter in this entire freaking world could hurt me.

And for the first time in years, I slept without a nightmare.