"What do you want to eat tonight?"

"Pie,"

"I'd better text Viola then,"

"Sam is my new friend," she said quietly, making me look up and smile.

"We are gonna need a longer summer, there's too many people to invite round,"

"Is there?"

"I was joking, we have enough time,"

For a moment, it was silent. Mr Carter was typing away, Charlie was fiddling with a bracelet on his wrist, and I was comforting my little girl.

That's what she was. She was small, and fragile, and vulnerable. Of course she could be full of life, but it was moments like this that made me realise how much I should treasure the energy she can give.

"I thought my teeth were looking better,"

"They are, okay? Viola and I are the professionals here,"

"And I was finally looking in the mirror at something I could admire,"

"You still can, we don't need to listen to such cold hearted people,"

"Ashton," Mr Carter said, "I agree, and get that you're angry, but if you start lashing out like that to their face then you are in the wrong,"

I nodded, kissing her head when she turned.

"Sam is Jordan's brother,"

"Harry's friend Jordan?"

"Yeah. He got my inhaler and helped me here, and he said he will sit with me,"

"That's nice of him," I smiled, "thankyou,"

"What friends do, right?"

"Will Amber and Sapphire hate me?"

"They might be a bit upset because you kept it from them, and thought you could trust them, but if they don't get over that then that's their problem. You aren't supposed to tell anyone at any time, you say when you're ready,"

"And Ava," Sam said, "people get told the news and either don't know you, or shrug it off. I promise there is barely anyone who thinks negatively,"

"It just sucks,"

"It's does," I nodded, "I'm talking to her parents, and then we can go home. You can have a bath and I can help soothe your joints, then we will have an early night. You look sick,"

"My throat hurts,"

"Nothing else is bothering you?"

She shook her head, and I knew she was lying. Her cheek was swollen, and the way she was eating added up. An abscess or infection left long enough could cause more sickness, and I was very concerned. Thursday was close, but not close enough.

"Well, I need to move your appointment to tomorrow, straight after lunch, so we can see from there,"

"Will I have to come to school?"

"Yes,"

"After all of this?" she stressed.

"The longer you leave a problem, the worse it gets. We will call the girls, I don't think Savanna will be in school tomorrow, and you are with Mr Carter for most of the morning,"

She sniffed, looking up at the door where Miss Lockheart appeared.

"They're here. Mr Carter, could you email Sam's lesson and tell them he's here, then get a statement. Charlie, please could you try a lesson?"