Chapter 49 - The last request

Start from the beginning

The storm will extinguish that weak ember soon.

As Alonso stared at Celia, Faela charged, not wasting the opportunity. She raised her sword to bring it down at the worshiper with all her strength.

The ancient Celeste took over Alonso and raised Tetsuko to block the attack with ease.

However, that was what Faela expected. Using the momentum, she spun and kicked Alonso on the sides, sending him against the bed, breaking it.

"My lady, it's not safe! Get out of here!" she shouted without taking her eyes off her enemy.

"But uncle is still alive! He recognized me! We can't—"

"Guards!" Faela shouted as she charged at Alonso, who slashed at the sheets to get rid of it. As she traded blows with the worshiper and tried to stop him from getting up, two guards came rushing in the room. "Take the lady out of here!"

"No! I won't leave! Uncle—"

"Alonso's been poisoned with tainted blood!" Faela shouted at the guards, struggling to keep the enemy at bay. "He's a worshiper now!"

The guards didn't seem to listen. They stood at the door, not understanding what was happening as the soldier and the lord fought.

"Take the lady!" Faela shouted, glancing at them to wake them up.

"Y-yes!" they both answered and turned to Celia. "Please, forgive me, my lady."

One of them grabbed her by the waist, lifted and carried her out of the room like a sack of rice.

"No! I order you to put me down!" she shouted, struggling to get rid of the soldier, but her efforts were in vain against the soldier's armor. "Uncle Alonso!"

Faela's face softened as the lady left the room. The next instant, her features hardened the as she turned to her enemy.

Though it was only for a moment, when she took her eyes off Alonso, he had managed to get out of the bed and was standing in the middle of the room with nothing on his way now.

"Get... out... of my... way... I need... to kill... her!" he shouted in a rough and deep voice. At the same time, he held his head with the free hand, struggling in pain of the broken elbow, his breathing hard. "No... I can't... I won't kill Celia... she's family," he said in his normal voice.

Alonso... If I could, I'd save you, Tetsuko thought, trying to transmit her thought to where she had felt that ember.

However, she knew there was nothing she could do besides thinking. The soul in the sword was too busy trying to keep the dark energy at bay. If I stop concentrating for an instant, it'll poison me and take over.

The worshiper shook his head and focused on Faela. With a growl, it leapt towards the soldier, bringing Tetsuko down on her with all his monstrous strength.

Faela raised her weapon to block it. At the last instant, she shifted her body and instead of blocking, she met Alonso's blade and redirected it towards the ground, screaming all the time.

When Tetsuko struck the stone floor, it broke to dust.

Incredible. In the last moment, she realized her sword would break and she'd die and deflected me to save herself. That requires amazing skill. She is indeed much stronger than her brother Fael.

Despite panting, the soldier smashed her shoulder against Alonso with all her strength. The worshiper had no balance and toppled against the window, breaking it.

He managed to grab the ledge and prevent his fall. But when Faela came crashing against him, there was nothing he could do.

As they fell from the first floor, she tried to stab at his heart. He managed to smack the blade with his free hand and the tip punctured his shoulder instead. He screamed from the stab and from using his broken arm.

The instant they hit the ground, Alonso kicked her with both feet to get some distance.

Faela flew and rolled on the floor to avoid the damage. When she stopped, she stood up and brought her sword before her.

The worshiper stood and held his wounded shoulder. But as he screamed, the wound vanished as if it never had happened.

Tetsuko felt as the ancient Celeste coursing through him healed his shoulder and then it moved to the other injuries. It's only a matter of time until he's completely healed and then he'll have his full strength, the soul in the sword thought.

No matter how strong Faela is, she won't be able to stop him.

And if I wasn't too busy trying to stop this poison from taking over me, she'd already be dead.

No... No...

A faint voice that didn't belong to Tetsuko echoed in her mind.

She had trouble to believe. That voice belonged to her former wielder, Alonso. Wait. It can't be. He's gone. I can't even sense that faint ember anymore.

Help... me...

She heard the same voice again. This time she was sure it belonged to her wielder.

I'm sorry, Alonso. There's nothing I can do to help you this time, she projected her thoughts, a real grief in them.

Help... kill... me.

As the worshiper charged against Faela, Tetsuko focused on finding Alonso's soul inside that ancient energy.

Despite keeping the Celeste at bay, she found it. It was nothing more than a dot of light against a never-ending darkness. Nonetheless, it was resisting the evil power.

Tetsuko had no idea what to do.

I can become the strongest sword if I go along with the worshiper as my new wielder... If I can learn how to keep the Celeste at bay...

On the other hand, she remembered everything she went through with Alonso. All the times she became stronger thanks to the enemies he fought. All the times she gained a new skill. All the energies she devoured.

The soul in the sword closed the eyes she no longer had. I'll listen to my wielder's final request.

Thoughthere was no answer, she felt the dot of light burning a little brighter.