-27-

Ryder's POV

I kept checking the time on my phone. Sage could be here any minute and I still haven't decided what I'm going to wear. I don't even know what to wear.

I looked through my closet for the hundredth time and decided on a black flannel. I grabbed jeans from my dresser. I got changed and left my room.

"Wow. You actually look decent for once." I turned around and ruffled my brother's hair. He smacked my hand with a death glare. "Dude! I spent twenty minutes on my hair!"

"It doesn't look bad." He stormed into the bathroom and I rolled my eyes. I heard the doorbell ring and quickly ran to the front door. I opened it and my jaw dropped.

Sage wore a cream colored sweater dress that hung off her shoulders. Her hair was curled and shaped her face. I couldn't help but admire how beautiful she looked.

She adjusted her glasses and looked at me expectantly. I realized I had been staring and cleared my throat. "S-sorry." I let her in and pulled her into my arms. "You look beautiful," I whispered in her ear. I pecked her cheek and took her hand, leading her into the kitchen. My grandma was cooking pancakes on the stove.

I cleared my throat. "Sage is here."

My grandma turned around and smiled when she saw her. "You look lovely."

"Thank you." Sage offered a soft smile. "I love your dress, Susie." My grandma was wearing a flower print dress that I've never seen her wear before.

"Thank you, sweetie. I just got it the other day." My grandma turned towards me. "Ryder, could you please go get your grandpa? The food's almost ready."

"Sure. Where is he?"

"I believe he's in the basement fixing the computer."

"I'll go get him." Sage followed me into the basement.

Our basement was finished with the laundry room across from the stairs and a storage room next to it. The rest of the basement was a small hang out space, with an old leather couch pushed up against the wall and a box TV across from it. In the corner of the room we had a corner desk with a computer that my grandpa uses for work.

My grandpa was sitting at the desk.

"Hey, grandpa!"

"Yes?" He turned in his swivel chair and waved at Sage.

"Grandma wanted me to tell you that the food is almost done."

"I'll be right up." He turned back to the computer.

———————

I helped my grandma set the table and took a seat next to Sage.

"It's so nice to have you here, Sage. You and Ryder. It's been a long time since he's spent Thanksgiving with us," my grandma said.

"Thank you for inviting me."

"You're always welcome here, dear." Sage and my grandma started talking about art and cooking. My grandpa and Derik started talking about the football game. Soon everyone was mingling and I zoned out as I ate my food, at least until I heard my grandma ask Sage, "Do you think Ryder would make a great father?"

I dropped my fork and stared at my grandma, then looked at Sage. She turned towards me and grabbed my hand, squeezing it lightly. "I think he'll make an amazing father. I couldn't be more thankful that he's willing to step in once my baby is born." My muscles relaxed and I leaned over and kissed her cheek. I was honestly worried that I wouldn't be a good dad. My dad is a terrible person, not like I'm any better. I deal drugs for a living and I have the tendency to get into fights. I'm quick to anger and I fear that if I snap near the baby... I don't even want to think about that.