-22-

Sage's POV

"So, when do you plan to come back to work?" Lydia asked.

I shrugged. "I'm not sure. I've gotten used to being home and, well, what if something happens?"

"What do you mean?" She tilted her head curiously.

"What if there's a shooting? What if Rick finds out where I work? What if there's an accident in the kitchen and a fire starts? I don't want to lose my baby..." I held my stomach and held back my tears. I was really starting to get annoyed with my emotions being all wacky and messed up.

Lydia put her hands on my shoulders. "Hon, nothing is going to happen."

"I'm so scared," I said as I fell into her arms and started sobbing.

"I know, hon." She started rubbing my back. "I think all new moms are."

My phone buzzed.

Ry 😍: I'm on my way home princess

I started smiling. "He's on his way home."

"He's heading home this late?"

"I guess so." I didn't care what time it was. I really needed Ryder. I love Lydia to death but nothing compares to being in Ryder's arms. Wow. That was cheesy.

I couldn't wait to see him.

——————————
Ryder's POV

"It's going to take at least three hours before we get back. You're not going to see her," Greg said.

I rolled my eyes. "I need to apologize."

Dante spoke up, "Ryder. We have school tomorrow. It's bad enough that we missed school today. Besides, we have a couple deals tomorrow. I'll handle the one in school for you."

These deals were starting to piss me off. I think it's because they pull me away from Sage. She doesn't seem bothered by what I do, but as soon as she has the baby, I bet that would change. I don't want to put them in danger and I can't lose her. I couldn't quit this even if I wanted to. I need the money.

I put in my earbuds and started playing music. I pulled out my vape only to see that it was empty. Even worse, I didn't have any reception so I couldn't text Sage.

When I finally got home, the first thing I did was text Sage. I knew she was probably asleep.

Me: I'm home
Me: I'm going to try and see you tomorrow

I went to my room. Derik and my grandparents were asleep so I tried to be quiet. The last thing I needed was to be lectured. After tossing and turning for about an hour, I finally fell asleep.

——————————

"Ryder!" Derik stood in my doorway with a toothy grin. I sighed and opened my arms. He hugged me tightly. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, shorty." I ruffled his hair. I can't remember the last time I hugged him. A lot of people think I hate my brother, but I really don't. Sure, I act like it but I love him. Sometimes I pick on him but that's because I can. I wouldn't let anyone pick on Derik, and if they did they'd have to deal with me.

"I'll be taller than you one day," he said.

I shook my head with a smile. "In your dreams."

I drove us to school on my motorbike. Derik ran off to join his friends. I saw Dante talking to Jennifer. I needed to talk to him but I didn't want to be around her. Jennifer hasn't talked to me since I saw her at the aquarium. Every time I'm near her she tries to get me to sleep with her again.