-16-

Ryder's POV

I woke up to the sun in my eyes. I checked the time. Seven in the morning. Sage was cuddled against my chest and I kissed her forehead. She's adorable when she sleeps. I wish she didn't have to go home today.

I carefully got up and closed the curtains. I didn't want her to wake up this early. I slipped on a shirt before I left the room and shut the door behind me. I saw Derik in the living room. I sighed and sat down next to him. I pulled out my phone to check when my next deal is.

"I hope you know how lucky you are," he said.

I glanced at him with a bemused expression. "What do you mean?"

He rolled his eyes. "To have a girl like Sage. I swear if you screw up and lose her—"

"I won't," I snapped. "I never want to lose her." The thought pained me and made my stomach churn.

He stood up. "Good." He flicked my forehead before heading to his room. I rubbed my forehead. I hate when he does that.

I went to the backyard and started shooting hoops to pass the time. I think maybe an hour passed before I heard Derik cry out my name. I dropped the ball and ran inside. Derik was on the living room floor with blood seeping out of his lips. He had tears streaming down his cheeks. My eyes trailed up to the person towering over him. My heart stopped.

Dad.

He looked like he hadn't shaved in awhile. His jeans were torn and his flannel was dirty. He glared at me with his darkened green orbs, the ones I sadly share. He smelt strongly of alcohol, strong enough that I could smell it from the kitchen.

I stepped into the living room and helped my brother up. "Go by Sage," I whispered. He nodded and went to my room. I looked up at my father. The last time I saw him was a week before I saw Sage at the restaurant. "Why are you here?"

He took a step towards me. "To see my boys."

I took a step back. "We were taken from you for a reason." The last time I saw him, I wasn't scared. My grandparents had been here so he wasn't able to harm us like he used to. When I saw that man at the harbor who made me feel fear, it was unusual because I only ever feared my dad. Now it was just him and I, and I felt fear again.

I clenched my fist and gritted my teeth. "Leave." He took another step towards me and now we were inches apart. I glared at him. "Now." His face twisted into a scowl and the confidence I felt suddenly vanished.

"Don't you dare tell me what to do, boy!" He punched me in the jaw and I stumbled back.

"You're a sorry excuse for a father!" I tried to shove him but he was twice my size and didn't even budge. "You're a bastard!"

He smacked me. "Watch your mouth! Didn't your whore mother ever teach you manners?!"

"Don't call her that!" I raised my fist to punch him but he shoved me away and I fell against the wall. "You were nothing but an abusive, alcoholic piece of shit who beat us until we screamed and cried!"

He punched me again and busted open my lip. "You were always trouble! Picking fights and selling drugs! You made her life hell!" His words stung and dug their way into my mind. It was true. I hated that he was right.

I let my guard down and he landed another punch, knocking me off my feet. He picked up a vase and threw it at me. I felt blood drip down my forehead and my head was throbbing. He grabbed me by the collar of my shirt and shoved me against the wall.

"Let go of me!" I yelled. He laughed and continued to punch me in the face and the stomach. I somehow managed to push him away but he fell into a lamp. He picked up the lamp and threw that at me too. I dodged it and a painting fell. My head was spinning and my vision was becoming blurry. He stood in front of me and I shoved him out the door. "Get the fuck out!"

I slammed and locked the door after he left. I heard whimpering. Sage! I struggled to walk back to my room. I stumbled into the room and I could barely hear her say my name. My legs were about to give out so I gripped the door frame. Our eyes met and she looked scared. I wanted to tell her I was ok even though I wasn't. "Sage..." My knees buckled and I collapsed.

Everything went black.

—————————
Sage's POV

I rushed to his side. "Derik help me!" Derik helped me lift Ryder onto the bed. "Tell me what happened! Why is he bloody and bruised?!"

"Our dad showed up..." He's abusive. That's why Ryder didn't talk about him. My heart clenched and tears escaped my eyes. I kissed his cheek before running to the bathroom and grabbing a first aid kit. I cleaned the cut on his forehead and put a bandaid on it. I wiped the blood off his face and then turned to Derik. I cleaned the cut on his lips and he smiled at me. "You'd make a good nurse."

I rolled my eyes. "This is the first time I've ever tended to someone so I highly doubt that."

"Whatever you say, nurse Sage." I playfully punched him. "Move for a second." I did as he said and watched as he took off Ryder's shirt. I gasped when I saw the bruises. "Shit... Do you need any help?"

"A bucket of ice water and some towels please." He returned with a small bucket and a pile of towels. "Ok. You can leave now." He nodded and shut the door behind him. I dipped a towel into the cold water and pressed it to the bruises. I continued this until all of the bruises on his stomach were covered. I got another towel wet and pressed it to his cheek. I gently massaged his head with my other hand.

He grunted and slowly opened his eyes. "Princess?"

"Yes?" I took the towels off of his stomach and smiled when I saw that they looked better. He still hadn't said anything. He just watched me like a hawk. I soaked a new towel and pressed it to his cheek again.

"Am I still pretty, doc?" My cheeks turned pink and I nodded. I squeaked when he pulled me onto his lap so I was straddling him. "I wish you didn't have to leave today."

I pecked his cheek. "You have school and I have work." I hesitated to speak. "Derik told me." Ryder looked away with an ashamed expression. "I'm not going to judge you." I traced his bruises. "What he did to you was wrong, but don't be ashamed. I still love you."

He smiled and hugged me. "I love you, princess."

My phone vibrated.

Dad: I'm in the driveway
Dad: Come out once you're ready

Me: I'll be out soon

I sighed, "My dad's here." Ryder frowned. I kissed every bruise. "Are you going to be ok?" He nodded. "I'm sorry I have to leave so soon."

"It's ok. I'll visit you like I always do."

I smiled and kissed him. "I look forward to it."

Ryder walked me to my dad's Cadillac. "I love you."

"I love you too, princess." He hugged me and kissed me once more. I thought about telling him, but now didn't seem like the right time.

When my dad and I drove away, all I felt was guilt as I held my stomach. "I need to tell him."

"Wait until you're ready," my dad said. I stared out the window and began to cry. "It's ok, sweetheart." I stayed silent. It's not ok. He deserves to know. I just don't know how to tell him...

Ryder... I'm sorry...

—————————

A/N: I've finally finished this chapter!!! I feel like I say this a lot, but I hope it wasn't boring. I just wanted to give some insight on Ryder's life and add a little drama.

I'll try to get the next chapter out as soon as I can, but patience is key. Also, thank you guys so much for all the love and support on this story!! I'm so glad that you all are enjoying it.

One more thing... I have a question and I'd love to hear your opinions:
—> Should the baby be a boy or a girl?

Like. Comment. Share. Follow.