-38-

Warning: "suggestive" themes in part of this chapter.

*6 years ago*

Ryder's POV

"It's heavy."

"I know it is, Ryder. But you need to learn how to shoot," my mother says sternly as she places her hands over mine. "Aim a little higher. A little to the left. Now you should be golden. Shoot." I steady my hands and pull the trigger. I manage to get a headshot on the cardboard cutout. I look up at my mom and see her grinning from ear to ear, a clear sign that she's proud of me.

My mom's an excellent shot. I want to be just like her. She's been teaching me how to use a gun for the past couple years. She wants me to know how to defend myself. One time she jokingly said that if I practice enough, I could be as quick as a gunslinger in those old western movies.

I don't like using it though. The idea of ever shooting a person doesn't make me feel good inside. I hope I never have to use one.

"Good shot, my little prince." I smile at her as she ruffles my hair. Mom calls me her little prince because, as she puts it, one day I'll marry a princess and make her my queen. I think she just loves fairy tales. She told me if I rescue the princess, then I'll truly deserve her love. I'm not sure what that means. She never explained it to me.

"Thanks, mom. I'm learning from the best."

"I'm sure you'll be as good as me if you keep practicing." She steps to the side. "One more shot and then we're done for the day." I nod and raise the gun. She doesn't tell me where to aim this time. I take a deep breath and pull the trigger. Headshot. "Perfect, my little prince. One day, Ryder, you may need to protect your princess with a gun."

"But I don't want to use this on a person." I set down the pistol and gaze down at my feet.

She kneels down in front of me. "Ryder, look at me." I do as she says. "You may not have a choice. There are bad people in this world who want to harm others. Sometimes, you have no other option... but to pull the trigger."

"Is dad a bad person?" I ask hesitantly.

"I don't want you to think badly of your father. He does bad things. I know you do things too, Ryder. I know what you do down at the harbor, but I choose to turn my cheek because I know that older boy, Greg, keeps you safe."

"I'm sorry..." I sniffle. I feel like a disappointment.

She wraps her arms around me and hugs me tightly. "Don't be. I love you to the moon and back, my little prince."

———————
*Present*

Sage's POV

We arrive back at my house. I can sense that Ryder is haunted by what he did, even though it wasn't extreme. He sits on the couch, lost in his own mind, his eyes locked on the wall, rarely blinking. His body is stiff like a wooden board. I just want him to relax.

Lydia glances at Ryder, then at me. "I'll give you two some alone time. Come get me when you're done talking to him." She disappears into my room, leaving me alone with Ryder.

I stand in front of him, but he doesn't seem to notice me. I sigh before sitting on his lap, my legs around him. He finally notices me. Our eyes meet, and I can see the sorrow in his. I place my hand on his cheek and gently rub my thumb against it. "I don't know what's going on in your head. I won't know unless you tell me, but you don't need to. I just want you to know that I'm here for you, Ry. Whatever demons you're fighting, you don't have to fight them alone. You have me, and I'll be by your side through that fight. If you want to tell me what's going through your mind, I'll listen and I'll help however I can." I press my forehead against his. "I love you so much." I press a chaste kiss to his lips before hugging him.