P R O L O G U E

The one minute. The soldier's minute. One minute of everything at once. Everything before it is nothing. Everything after; nothing. Nothing compared to that one minute.

~ Thomas Shelby, Peaky Blinders

___________________

"Shit!" She cursed tightening the belt around her torn leg with more vigor.

Blood oozed from the freshly ripped wound like water pumping through the holes of a sinking ship. The red liquid snaked out of the cut flesh with a force that rivaled the ocean currents. She was used to the crimson color as much as the pain accompanying it, but this pain overrode any physical pain she had endured in her entire life.

And she had suffered quite a lot.

Sighing heavily, the girl tried to wipe the tears away before bringing the bottle of Jack she stole from the clueless bartender to her trembling lips, drawing the sobs knotting in her throat with the hard liquor. She tried drinking as much as she could manage to keep down. She had to numb her senses, knowing what followed.

She shoved the leather glove she had previously rolled in her mouth. Taking a huge breath, she poured the liquid on the open wound. A violent growl rose in her throat, tears spilling uncontrollably like a messy waterfall of pain. She cried in agony, swallowing down her sobs, too terrified of someone hearing and investigating.

Perhaps the nearest nightclub's restroom wasn't the best place for disinfecting a bullet wound, but her choices were kind of limited. Time was of the essence and she was running out of it. She couldn't risk being discovered.

If they found her, either of them...

She couldn't bring herself to think about what would happen. No one would grant her the mercy of a quick death. And no one would be willing to risk their neck to speak up in her favor. Not anymore.

It was already too late anyway.

"Ahh!" She bit down yet another scream. The excruciating pain of removing a bullet was nothing anyone could get used to or endure in silence. Even the boys used to flinch when she removed them on the various occasions they got themselves shot. She didn't know how they stopped themselves from crying or screaming though. She could barely stay conscious. If it weren't for adrenaline she'd be out on the floor now.

She cursed under her breath, biting harder in the impromptu gag, as she dug her nails in her skin deeper, searching for the bullet.

The smell of her own blood was making her dizzy, or was that due to the immense blood loss?

She couldn't tell.

What she could tell was that the bullet was finally out and she was more than exhausted. Ignoring the bullet clattering against the floor as she vehemently threw it away, she leaned her head back, against the marble wall. Shutting her eyes for one second she woke to up to realize her rest lasted longer than she could afford.

A loud thud at the door was what jerked her awake.

Cursing everything under the sun for dozing off like that, dazed and weakened from the bloodloss and from everything that had happened the past twenty-four hours, hell! even in the past twenty-four years  of her life, she pushed her body to move.

Her foot complained the second she put pressure on it, it had numbed while she was out of it and it started bitching when she moved it again. Looking down she saw the blood had stopped, for the most part, thanks to the fact that the belt was safely secured before her passing out.