Chapter Forty Five

I stood at Tyler's front door, knocking rapidly on the door. I knew I wouldn't run the risk of seeing his dad because thankfully, his bougie sports car wasn't in the driveway.

I continued to knock on the door but he wasn't answering, despite the fact his car was in the driveway. Sighing, I started marching towards the backyard, where I'd have to climb his ladder for what felt like the millionth time. Just as I was about to put my foot on the ladder, Tyler's head poked out of his window. He shook his head with a grin. "Don't even think about it, Sweetness."

I put my foot down and placed my hands on my hips. "I wouldn't have to think about it if you would have just answered the door."

"Hey, retract the claws," he mused with his hands up in surrender. "I was in the shower and I didn't hear the doorbell until I got out and had to get dressed. Would you had rather me answer the door naked?"

I opened my mouth to answer but Tyler shook his head with his eyebrows scrunched. "Actually, don't answer that."

His head went back into the house and I knew he was going to open the door. When he did, he pulled me inside and enveloped me into a hug. "I'm sorry for what he said."

I shook my head, still in his arms. "It's not your fault."

Tyler kissed my forehead. "Still. It wasn't right."

Pulling back slightly, I looked him in the eyes, studying them carefully. "Do you love me?"

Tyler's arms dropped and he took a step back. "W-What?"

"Do you love me?" I asked, my heart pounding really fast, shocked I was so daring to ask such a question barely a month into the relationship. When Tyler looked too shocked for words, I licked my lips and continued. "Your mom... she said that you had feelings for me for awhile and she told me about the brownies."

Tyler shook his head, his jaw clenched tight. He looked incredibly incredibly pissed. "Are you serious?"

I took a step back, edging towards the door, feeling like this was not going to go well. I wasn't going to be mad if the answer was no - Tyler and me had been together for only a few weeks - quite frankly I expected it. But I hadn't expected him to be mad. "I-I'm sorry I upset you. Let's just forget that I asked, it was a stupid question anyway."

Tyler's features softened and he reached out for my hands. He took them in his and rubbed reassuring circles with his thumbs. "I'm not upset at you. I'm upset that my mom ruined it."

"Ruined what?" I questioned, my voice barely above a whisper and looking intently at the floor.

Tyler let go of my hand and used it to tip my chin upward so I could look him on the eyes. "She ruined the first time I would say I love you."

"I-I don't know what to s-" I began but Tyler cut me off.

"You don't need to say anything, Juliet. You don't even have to say it back. But I just want you to know that I've been in love with you, not since you fell off your bike and ate my ice cream sandwich, but ever since that day I gave you money for those goddamn tater tots. Your face lit up and you wouldn't stop thanking me for days. You were so adorable and I knew in that moment that nothing would make me happier than making you happy," Tyler rested his forehead on mine, his green eyes more vibrant than ever. "I love you, Sweetness. I always will."