Chapter Seventeen

"S-sure, I was just thinking about you," I said but my eyes widened when I realized how that sounded. Tyler arched a brow, looking utterly amused while I stuttered like I an idiot. "I-I j-just mean that I was thinking about you and Tristan."

He gestured for me to sit on the orange sofa chair that was in the lounging section of the library, facing the courtyard that was filled reds, oranges, and yellows as three maple trees stood boldly in the otherwise grim area. I sat down on the chair closest to the window and Tyler sat across from me. "So, what were you thinking about?"

I stared into his eyes, looking for a hint of venom behind the question but nothing other than curiosity lingered in his pigmented green eyes. Running my hand through my hair and licking my lips, I shrugged, not sure how to bring up the topic of him and Tristan's falling out. "I was thinking about the fight you and Tristan had at the start of high school."

Tyler's throat bobbed as he leaned back and squared his shoulders. He looked at me hard, almost as if he were having a conversation with himself in his head, debating whether or not he want to reopen old wounds. He rubbed his hand on his jaw and sighed. "Do you remember the Winter Formal in our first year?"

I stared off into the courtyard thoughtfully, trying to remember. After a moment of racking my brain, a specific memory popped into my mind.

I sat on my bed, typing away on my laptop, I had an essay about Romeo and Juliet due the next day and I hadn't even started it. Determined to finish it because I refused to let my procrastination ruin my grades, I put a note on my door letting both my brother and father know not to interrupt my writing process or else I was never going to get this done. As I finished writing out my second body paragraph about why I believed this play to be utterly stupid, a knock on my door caught me off guard. Slamming my laptop shut, I cursed under my breath. "Tris, I told you not to bother me!"

Ignoring my response, Tristan swung open the door and greeted me with a grin, with Tyler lurking in the background. He pulled out my desk chair and Tyler walked in and leaned against my desk, arms cross and staring at me intently. I tucked my hair behind my ear and jerked my head a little. "What are you staring at?"

Tyler shrugged and then smirked as he turned to Tris. My brother rolled his eyes and shook his mess of curls he calls hair out of his eyes. "We have a question concerning your kind."

"'My kind?'" I questioned with air quotations. "What are you two idiots up to now?"

"Girls. The Winter Formal." Tyler stated but not adding anymore context for me to go on, his green eyes still staring at me unnecessarily intently.

Tris rolled his eyes again, probably annoyed with Tyler not elaborating further. "We want dates but we don't know how to get them."

I would have laughed at their cluelessness had they not looked so keen on getting an answer. Instead, I moved my laptop and sat at the edge of my bed and took a moment to think and form thoughtful answer for my brother and his friend. "Well, I know for myself, actions speak louder than words. If you're interested in a girl and want to take her to the formal, show her you want to be with her. Don't just say it."

"How do you suggest we do that?" Tyler questioned, looking intrigued.

"Do simple things, walk her to class, open doors for her, if she's cold give her your hoodie — although you may never get it back —" I mused to myself. I looked up at the two boys with kind eyes, hoping they weren't thinking I thought this question was absurd. I found it cute they were so interested on how to win over a girl for the dance. "The point is, make them feel special with the little things. But if you want to step up your game, get her small gifts. You know, like their favourite chocolate bar or favourite flower or even try to write her a poem or a cute note. Small things like that go a long way."

Tris nodded his head and sprung to his feet. "Simple enough, thanks J."

He gripped my shoulder and flashed me a grin. "You're the best."

"Juliet?" Tyler asked, his voice laced with concern and his hand placed gently on my knee.

I snapped back to the present and for a moment, I felt like I could still feel Tristan's grip on my shoulder. "You and Tristan wanted to have a date but you guys were clueless as to how to get one so you asked me advice on how to win a girl over."

"Right," Tyler began and then winced as now it was his turn to reminisce over our younger selves. "Well, Tristan and I had our differences as to who we wanted to ask out and it sparked an argument. Then it escalated and it turned into this giant fight about our friendship and whether we were ever friendsit was a mess that I barely remember. All I really remember is after our fight about our Winter Formal dates, everything went downhill."

"Oh," I responded lamely. All of those years, all of those disagreements started with a girl. A girl. I wonder who she was, but I certainly wasn't going to ask, seeing as Tyler looked lost in his own memories of the fight, of my brother, of his death. Seeing his look on his face, I instantly regretted asking him what had happened. I cleared my throat and pulled the sleeves of Tyler's hoodie over my hands. "What did you want to talk about before I..."

I trailed off and Tyler's eyes landed on mine once more. "I wanted to call a truce."

A smile formed on my lips as I leaned back in surprise. "Bad Boy Tyler Jones is calling a truce? With me? I'm honoured."

Tyler shook his head but I could see a hint of a smile. "I just think it's for the best. Hating each other has gotten us nowhere and I know my friends like you and that you could use some new friends given your issues with Ariel... So I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe it's time we call it quits and accept we are going to be in each others lives whether we like it or not."

I sat for a moment, looking at him dumbfounded. He truly believed he worded that kindly. But I guess that's as sincere as he was going to get and I should take it without any further comments that may push him to revert back to his old ways. "Tyler," I began as I placed a hand on his that rested on his knee. "I never hated you, but I'm glad to call a truce."

He eyed me for a moment, looking for a shred of dishonesty. It must have surprised him when I said I didn't hate him which was true. I never hated him. I simply hated how he treated me and if he was willing to change, then I was willing to go along with it. When he saw no dishonesty behind my stare, he placed his other hand on top of mine and gave me a smile I hadn't seen in years, an honest and genuine smile. "Thank you, Sweetness. For giving me a chance."