Chapter Thirty Eight

“Juliet?” A voice broke through my slumber. I heard the person enter my room but I refused to open my eyes. I wasn’t ready to wake up yet. “Juliet, wake up. Tyler is here.”

“What?” I shot up, my hair no doubt a bird’s nest on the top of my head. “Why?”

Aunt Gina’s eyebrows shot up and pointed to my school bag that was beside my bed. “To drive you to school? It’s your last week before the Christmas break.”

I groaned internally but nodded my head as I threw my sheets to the side and got out of bed. Aunt Gina left the room with a chuckle while I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off, trying to get myself organized for the day as quickly as I could. This weekend was action packed from my date to spending time with Aunt Gina, and working that I feel like I haven’t had a moment of rest.

Hastily pulling up my skinny jeans and a light pink camisole with a knitted black cardigan, I finished getting dressed but quickly wanted to put some light makeup on after I brushed my teeth. I smacked on some foundation, natural eye makeup with mascara and lip gloss, all in the span of ten minutes. As I finished applying the gloss, I looked at my hair, which wasn’t too bad but I didn’t have the dedication or time to do anything about it other than tie it up in a half up half down do with a scrunchie.

I raced down the stairs with my bag clutched in my hand and I rounded the corner from the stairs to the front door when I ran into a body.

“Easy there, babe,” Tyler chuckled, placing his hands on my shoulders. “Are you good?”

I nodded my head and smiled. “I’m fine, just didn’t want to keep you waiting.”

“I’ve waited thirteen years to be with you, I can wait as long as you need me to while you get ready,” he kissed my temple while he led me to the front hallway so I could put on my shoes.

I looked up at him and grinned. “Thirteen years?”

“What can I say? Even when we were five I knew you were the girl for me,” Tyler winked.

“Sure,” I drawled as I pulled up my ankle boots and my jacket. I stood up straight and smiled at him. “Alright, lets go.”

When we got to school, Tyler rushed around the car to open my door and held out a hand for me to hold. Blushing at his action, I put my hand in his and began to walk with him to Seth’s car. While we were walking everyone we passed would stare with wide eyes, including both Imogen and Morgan. Suddenly feeling very self conscious, I walked closer to Tyler. He let go of my hand and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. “Everything okay, Sweetness?”

“Everyone is staring,” I mumbled.

“They’re probably thinking how could someone like me have someone like you.”

Tyler stopped walking and placed both hands on my shoulders, looking at me intently. “They’re probably thinking how did someone as kind and beautiful as you land an asshole like me.”

He gently caressed my cheek and tipped my chin upwards so his lips could meet mine in a warm kiss. “You’re perfect, babe. Don’t let them get to you.”

“I-”

“OHMYGOD!” I heard someone squeal to my right. “Are you guys, like, official?”

I turned my head in the direction of the squeal and I saw Kimberly with the rest of the group, staring at us with their eyes wide. I didn’t know why they were so surprised. They knew Tyler had asked me to the Winter Formal and on a nice date. But I guess they needed more to go on seeing as I haven’t told Kimberly or Stella about the date yet.

Tyler and I approached the group and Colson eyed us top to bottom. “So, are you?”

“Why are you asking?” Tyler questioned, his voice seeming to be a little tense. “Still think you have a chance with my girlfriend?”

Colson flipped Tyler off and Seth let out a chuckle. “Well, congrats, man. It’s about time.”

“Honestly,” Kimberly agreed.

Ryan gave Tyler a little head nod, something I learned Ryan does a lot. He’s a man of few words, which is probably why him and Stella work so well together because so is she. They only really seem to be talkative to each other.

“I’m really happy for you guys,” Stella said kindly to Tyler and me.

I grinned at her and then looked up at Tyler. “Yeah, I’m really happy too.”

Tyler grinned right back at me before he placed his lips on mine. We began to kiss slowly but then it became quickly heated.

“HEY TYLER, WHY DON’T YOU AND YOUR SLUT OF THE WEEK TAKE IT TO A ROOM?”

Tyler and I broke apart and my eyes landed on Blake, whose eyes widened when he noticed I was the slut he was referring to and became increasing distraught. “Oh shit, J, I’m so-”

“Talk about my girlfriend like that again and I will smash your head in, got it?” Tyler snapped, pulling me closer in a protective stance.

Blake didn’t say anything but only nodded his head slowly before he walked away.

The bell rang and everyone began walking into the school, leaving me alone with Tyler in the parking lot. I turned to look at him and arched a brow. “A little protective of your girlfriend, don’t you think, Casanova?”

Tyler’s scowl softened as he threw me a lighthearted look. “Well, what are boyfriends for?”

“Hmm,” I sighed, pulling him close by his opened jacket. “Boyfriends provide comfort, love, and support. And they are responsible for killing all spiders that cross their girlfriend’s path.”

He took a step closer to me. “It’s a little early to say but I think I hit all of those points pretty spot on. If not, there’s still time. Don’t you think, girlfriend?”

“Yes,” I laughed, completely giddy at the thought of a future with Tyler. “There’s plenty of time, boyfriend.”