Chapter 7

The three girls turned around, interested. Their interest disappeared when they saw a chubby boy with glasses behind them. None knew the effort the boy must face to pronounce that name aloud.

"Hello Ruben."greeted the girl with dark blue eyes.

"Are you going home?"He asked curiously.

"Where would she go? Home, obviously!" said Paloma. She didn't like Ruben. Nothing at all.

"Don't listen to her" Veronica smiled sweetly with that sweetness that melted that boy so much."Of course I go home, do you want to come with us?"

She could almost hear the sound of Paloma's lips articulating a no, but she ignored it. That boy was a person who behaved well with her, and that was enough to return the behavior.

"I'd love it" he said just walking beside her, with the students' uniform in gray and green.

Paloma approached Veronica and grabbed her by the waist to whisper something in her ear.

"So you only give him the false possibilities of believing that you are insterested on him" Paloma said.

"It's a good boy." It was the only thing Veronica said before approaching Ruben and giving him a pleasant topic of conversation to talk about.

"It's just like you go, "Paloma sputtered.

Eva approached the girl with the black hair and smiled at her. Paloma stared at Eva.

"You know how sweet she is with everyone. She will be always nice"she said in a whisper.

A little further away both Veronica and Ruben smiled as they talked about banal issues. The girl could not even imagine the devastating effect that her presence had on the boy who watched her timidly while choosing his words well to not screw up with the girl. He tried to guess what it was what she would like to hear, just to please her. He made the mistake of losing himself so much in her gaze that it took him a few seconds to realize that the girl had stared at him, as if she waiting for an answer. Ruben left his embarrassment shaking his head to clear and blushed. He had gone so deep into his gaze that he had ended up drowning and had not heard what Veronica had told him.

"Excuse me ... I have not ... I ... listened to you."he confessed so shy and so afraid of her getting angry. His voice sounded almost broken.

He looked away from her and watched her sideways, thinking and blaming himself for the girl to get angry with him, but Veronica's mind did not work that way. She only smiled with a smile that made her look more beautiful than ever and repeated to the boy what she had said before.

"I told you that I would love to see the Titanic movie again in 3D at the cinema. I saw it last year and it seemed to me amazing. "she looked at him amused." Oh, i'm speaking about my feelings with that movie, but you do not listen to me! Shame on you!"she jocked.

The boy held his breath. Veronica realized that she doubted whether it was a joke or an accusation and, keeping her smile, stuck out her tongue.

"Just kidding. Well, you know that Titanic has always been my favorite love movie. It's something so romantic, every time I see it I cry."she confessed.

Ruben smiled. Of course he knew it. He knew almost everything about her. The girl had always been an open book when it came to telling him things. She trust in Ruben. For his part, Ruben had always been good at listening, and even more if Verónica was the one who speaking.

"What about the film Me before you?"-asked Ruben.

He knew Veronica also loved that movie.

-I also like that movie a lot, "he said in a low voice, as if fearing that expressing his tastes would bother her.

They continued walking through that shorter way home, and they saw several abandoned cars. Some of them with broken Windows. Anyone realized that there were people stuck in one of the cars smoking and waking up after a good night of partying.

"Do you want to speak about other interesting movie?" The boy asked, regretting right away. Of course Veronica was going to like some more movie. Everyone in this world likes more than a good movie. He was going to apologize for asking such a stupid question when she answered, hesitantly.

-I love The last song. That is another of my favorite movies, and I also love the adaptation of many films based on books.

He watched the girl with dreamy eyes, probably expecting to be the protagonist of some love story as deep as that of his books and movies. Like most young women of her age wanted to do. She wanted to be able to fly without being in the air. She wanted someone to give him everything and nothing at the same time. She wanted to be able to breathe from the lips of another person. She wanted to fall in love and when someone asked her what her favorite love story was, answering, mine. For a few seconds her mind imagined those gray eyes again, as if they were the entrance of some mystical paradise. The girl shook her head, trying to focus on the present moment.

Ruben felt bad about himself again. What could he answer to her? He was blank out. Everytime he looked at her, he felt that way. Veronica was like a dream come true for him. And she was about to speak again when she heard Eva screaming. Veronica held her breath while she saw how five boys were going out of the inside of the abandoned cars. With horror she saw how one had seized her friend.

Thanks for reading. Are you enjoying the book? If you like it please let me know. 

Ig: itssarahmey

Fb: sarah mey libos