✣ Chapter Forty-Four ✣

Healing Gabriel: Chapter Forty-Four

.Gabriel's POV.

      If I could've, I would've slept over that night at the hospital with Evan. Unfortunately, visiting hours could only last for so long, and it included everyone, from Donovan, to Mihael, and even Evan's mother. After Nurse Nina had reminded us all that there were only five minutes left until we were required to leave, everyone took their turns hugging and kissing Evan goodbye. He tried to keep his smile bright and wide for each person, but I could see behind it, could see how much he wanted us to stay with him. I could tell he didn't want to be alone.

      "I wish I could stay," I told him in a hushed voice, my mouth barely moving against his ear when it was my turn to depart from him.

      "Me, too," he agreed, wrapping his arms tightly around my shoulders in a hug that felt like a blanket, warm and capable of the ability to keep me safe and put me to sleep.

      "You should break my leg or something, so that we can be roommates," I joked, attempting to return his constricting hold tenfold.

       "Or you could just sneak in later and break me out," he replied, a comical tone masking over the seriousness he probably felt. "But don't forget to bring underwear. These hospital gowns only cover so much."

       "If Gabriel gets to break you out, then I get to drive the escape van," Mihael added, and I twitched in surprise, forgetting that Evan and I weren't alone like usual.

      "And with that, I'll be taking your car keys," Mihael's mom said with her hand held out expectantly, making him scowl. I pulled away from Evan's embrace reluctantly, wishing I could give him one last goodnight kiss but knowing now wasn't the best time.

      "I'll be back tomorrow, bright and early, okay?" I promised him softly so the others wouldn't hear (not that any of them could over Mihael's arguing about how those were "his keys" and how he'd earned them "fair and square," square meaning the line of cones he'd knocked over during his driving test), and he smiled, brown eyes hopeful.

      "Okay. Tell Carry I said hi."

      "Jerry doesn't appreciate your constant butchering of his name," I told him, and he laughed, a happy sound that wasn't as loud due to the soreness of his throat, but it was still the same beautiful noise that always managed to put a smile on my face.

      After that, the five of us departed, allowing Mihael, Dylan and their parents to say their goodbyes next. Alana kept close to my side as we made our way back through the winding hallways and elevator. The lights were beginning to dim inside the waiting rooms we passed, and overhead an announcement reciting the Lord's prayer was playing for our ears' salvation and the patients' hope.

      "I didn't know Evan was Catholic," Jurnee stated aloud.

      "Me neither. He never invited me to his church before, so I guess I never suspected," Axel added in.

    "He's not a Jehovah's Witness, guys, Jesus," Alana laughed, shoving Axel's shoulder with her own. "This was the nearest hospital by Gabriel, so that's who the police dispatcher sent."

      "Makes sense. It's weird how they play the Lord's Prayer at night, though. What if one of the patient's an atheist?" Jurnee asked.

      I tucked my hands in my pockets, having an answer but not looking forward to saying it. "They still make you listen. Hopefully there's a pillow nearby to smother your ears with, though. Or maybe your face. Depends on how desperate you are to get away from the Word of God."