26: Winter Comes

Skyla sat outside on the porch, watching the snowfall. It's been too long, and Alton hasn't returned. She was starting to get worried; she lost count on how many days it has been. She was sure it was summer when Alton departed, but now it's winter. How long is it to take down a wicked stepmother?

"I'm coming," she stood and went inside and picked Sky. "What is it now? You have been fussing all morning. Mommy needs to take a break, too, you know."

"Hey," Anton walked in with Evelyn, who was due at any moment. "We brought you something to eat."

"I can cook, you know," she looked at Evelyn. "And should you be walking about what if that kid decides to come out."

"Ay, Skyla," Evelyn chuckled. "You have been talking nonstop for the past few days. Can't you take a break? And you're a terrible cooker. You burn everything."

"Not everything," she said. "Any word on Alton?"

"No," Anton said. "Sorry, I should've had gone with him."

"No," she sighed. "You have my sister to take care of; you couldn't leave her while she's ready to burst. That baby is going to be huge."

"No, it's not," Evelyn said.

"She's been sensitive about that," Anton said.

Skyla chuckled. "Sorry," she smiled. "And I know you're not here because of the food; mom and dad send you to check up on me."

"Yeah," Evelyn said. "They are worried that you're alone here away from everyone else, and you have Sky."

"I'm okay," she said. "Plus, the men Anton placed around are good at their job. The small barn works well for them when it snows."

Anton nodded. "We are going to take care of you until Alton comes back, and he better. Andre is still looking for him. The last time we heard from Andre was that he found Alton in terrible conditions. I mean, he is going up against vampires; they are nasty creatures, well not all of them but still."

Skyla smiled. "Lyon is a good one, and so is Marla; I hope they are alright. From what Lyon told me, his stepmother is a wicked woman full of lies and tricks."

"Alton is smart," Anton said. "He will figure out what to do."

Skyla nodded. "I'd hope so."

It was the middle of October, and everything was white outside. Winter came early this year. "It's okay, come here," she picked Sky up and held her, wrapped up in a warm blanket. "There all cozy up."

She sat on the rocking chair and stared at the fireplace as she fed Sky. After she fell asleep, she set her in the bassinet and sat near the window looking out, waiting for Alton. But nothing, she was starting to think that he may never come back.

'You must not lose hope,' someone said.

"Who said that?" Skyla looked around. "Hello?"

They laughed. 'I'm your wolf; my name is Ikana.'

"Oh," she frowned. "I didn't know there was someone else."

'You have much to learn,' she said. 'Anyways, Alton will return. You need to be patient; he would never abandon us again.'

"If you say so," she sighed.

The next day, Skyla sat outside with Sky, watching the snowfall. It was a beautiful day, still snowing but still lovely.

Sky sat up and shook the rattle out of excitement. "Why are you s, excited, huh?" She wrapped her up in the blanket.

"Skyla!" She tensed.

"Alton?" She stood and looked out at the snowy haze. "Alton?!" She ran over, holding Sky tightly in her arms. "Alton."

She ran into his arms.

-

Alton held them tightly. "Skyla, Sky," he kissed their face. "I missed you two so much."

"We missed you too," she said. "Come, let's go inside." Skyla grabbed his hand and led him inside. "Sit near the fireplace," she set Sky in the basket beside him. "Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

"No," he pulled her down. "I want to hold you," Alton held her tightly. He is never going to leave her again.

She kissed him. "Where have you been? I have been so worried; I was starting to think you weren't coming back."

"It's a long story," he said. "But we have all day, so I'll tell you." He ruffles Sky's hair. "Lyon and I encounter some problems along the way to his father's clan. His stepmother sent a man to get us, and it was a lot of running and hiding, and Marla was kidnapped and tortured by the stepmother. It was a mess, but we got their and confronter her, we got locked up for almost a month, and the father was aware of the situation for a long time but was waiting for his wife to confess that she killed his first wife, Lyon's mother. It turned into a huge war. People picked sides, and then Andre arrived and set us free, and we got involved and so on. Marla, that girl, she's a tough one; after being tortured, getting her fangs pulled out, her nails and stabbed and all that, she was still able to fight back and take down the stepmother and two of Lyon's stepsisters that were not related to him. Only the girl and newborn boy born in the marriage got spared."

"Wow," she stroke his cheek.

"Yeah," he sighed. "Lyon and his father finally reconciled, the father apologized for not believing in him. They will move since that was a temporary home; they are moving near Elvin; Elvin was there too; he offered to take them in; the vampires can build in his lands, so long as they follow his rules, no feeding on humans. It's a win, win for both of them. Elvin said something about allowing them to build in his property so that those noisy buyers can stop bothering him. I guess he still is having problems with them."

"Oh," she smiled. "Elvin always had problems with those people, he couldn't figure out what to do to make them stop, but I guess he did now. And he did all this for Marla, didn't he?"

Alton nodded. "Elvin sees her as his daughter since he saw her flourish into a beautiful young woman. Oh, and we got invited to Marla and Lyons wedding, it'll be soon."

"I'm glad everything got sorted," she hugged him tightly. "Don't ever leave me again."

"I won't," he said. "Unless it's for hunting other than that, I'll be by your side," he kissed Skyla. "By the way, they did a good job at tiding this place up."

"Yes," she said.

Sky strumbled out of the basket and cried. Alton picked her up. "Hey princess, I missed you so much. Have you been good to your mommy?" He held her closer. "I can tell you were giving her problems, didn't you?" Sky shook the rattle.

"She's a good girl," Skyla said.

Alton held them both. "We are a family now. Skyla, you and I will get married as I promised those months ago."

"Wow," she smiled. "It's only been months since everything happened; it seems like years, huh?" He nodded. "I accept."

He kissed her. "So, where do we sleep?"

"In the only bedroom," she said. "We can add on to the house later on when Sky starts to crawl and sit up. For now, she's too young to sleep on her own. I want to keep her as close as possible."

"Okay," he sighed. "All I want to do is sleep. Can we do that?"

"Yes," she said. "Besides, its time for Sky's nap."

Alton stood and helped her up. Together, the three went into the bedroom and lay on the bed. "It's good to be home."

"Our home," she kissed him and cuddled Sky.

He looked down at Sky. "I'm going to teach you how to defend yourself from creeps," he said. "I love you both, my queen and princess." He held Skyla's hand.

"You will be a good father," Skyla said.

Alton kissed her hand and held it against his chest.

----------------------------

Comment

Vote

Follow

Miss SayaChan