chapter twenty-two

"if you have any questions - i'm right behind you."

i felt a shiver run down my spine as i watched the handler walk out of the room, her plain black heels clicking with each step.

five and i had been set up in two serpate desk areas with the jobs of case managers.

each of us were assigned with a certain timeline, though, i wasn't too concentrated, seeing as i was still mildly freaked out by the sudden change.

as soon as i had shook her hand, the handler had transported us to the commission workplace - an ability she was able to due via the suitcase she had with her.

"this is creepy." i mouthed to five, furrowing my brows.

i didn't want to openly say it, as there were employees all around us, aggressively typing on typewriters, trying to finish work.

"i know." five mouthed back, scanning his eyes across the room.

these people looked way too cheerful, considering the jobs they had.

a click of heels interrupted our small talk, and our heads snapped up, confused to why the handler was back.

"elle," she smiles from the doorway, her hands crossed.

she had gained the attention of the entire room, all eyes staring at me.

"i would like to have a chat about your employment. new commission members should have a warm welcome."

there was something in her facial features that screamed danger, but i really had no choice, as everyone was watching.

hesistantly, i got out of my seat, quickly glancing at five as a cry for help.

he merely shook his head, sending me a look that said you'll be fine, he watched the handler walk me out of the room.

i noticed as she closed the door behind her, motioning me to follow her as she continued down the hall.

"miss harper." she greeted, a small smile on her face. "it's been a pleasure to meet you."

okay... that was worded a bit strangely.

"the same to you." i offer a forced smile, looking up at her.

we continue walking, right up until we reach a small office-like room.

"this whole situation must be confusing to you." the handler waved her hands, looking down at me. "i'd like to give a more... in depth description."

i quirk a brow at her, crossing my arms.

"i'm all ears."

she cleared her throat, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"in the commission, we are organized to make sure whatever happens in the timeline..." she sent a grin. "happens."

i nodded, well-aware.

"i know. five had mentioned it." i reply bluntly, staring off into the window of the room.

i didn't exactly want to be talking to her. the vibe she was giving off was negative and creepy.

i feel her eyes on me, and i turn back to her, quirking a brow.

"what information has five told you that has caused you to give the commission the cold shoulder?" she asked, furrowing her brows at my straight face.

i felt a sudden burn of nervousness form in my chest, and i cough.

"i mean, i agree with him. you have the power to stop the apocalypse."