chapter eight

we were now back at the academy, sat on five's bed.

"five? elle?"

we both look at eachother, five sighing as he recognized vanya's voice from down the hall.

"oh, thank god." vanya let out of breath of relief, glancing at the two of us. "i was worried sick about you two."

she must've saw that we left.

"sorry we left without saying goodbye." five replied, his eyes trailing to the window, the streets reflecting on his eyes.

i nodded with his statement, staring apologetically at vanya.

"no, look, i'm the one that should be sorry." vanya sighed, looking up at five. "yeah, i was dismissive, and i-i guess i didn't know how to process what you were saying."

last night, when five had shared his story with vanya and i, she doubted it in the nicest way possible. five became angered at, calling her naive. she then pleaded with him to stay, in which later led him to beckoning me out on the walk to the park.

"and i still can't, to be honest." vanya finished, bouncing a little, seeking a bit anxious for his response.

five stood calmly, "maybe you were right to be dismissive." he scoffed quietly, "maybe it wasn't real after all."

a confused expression set across my face, my eyes narrowing.

i then began to realize he was putting up an innocent act in order to avoid vanya getting involved.

"it felt real. well... like you said, the old man did say time travel could contaminate the mind." five smiles softly, his hands in his pockets.

"then maybe i'm not the right person for you to be talking to." vanya shrugs, her voice quiet. "look, i used to see someone - a therapist, i could give you her information-"

"thanks, but i think i'm just gonna get some rest." five interrupts, nodding at vanya. "it's been a long time since i've had a good sleep."

vanya sighs, seemingly content with his answer. "okay."

she walks out the door, and five sighs, looking at me, dramatically wiping fake sweat from his face.

i roll my eyes, and follow him as he begins to walk out the room.

the closet beside us stirs, and the doors open, a familiar face climbing out.

five and i wince at the sound of items clanking, and the immense carelessness.

"that's so... touching!" klaus places a hand on his heart, stumbling a little as he walks out. "all that stuff about family, and dad, and time, wow!"

"klaus!" i whisper-shout. he turns to me, and i motion my fingers zipping my lips. "she's going to hear you!"

"i'm moist!" klaus grins, and i sigh, facepalming at his high-self.

"i told you to put on something professional." five exclaims, motioning at klaus' outfit choice.

"what? this is my nicest outfit." klaus pouts, looking down at his attire.

"i happen to like it too." i nod, earning an eyeroll from five. klaus grins appreciatively at me.

five sighs, "we'll raid the old man's closet."

"whatever, as long as i get paid." klaus shrugs, following behind five and i as we exit the room.

"when the job is done." five comments, causing klaus roll his eyes.

"okay, but just so we're clear on the finer details, i just gotta go into this place, and pretend to be your dear old dad, and elle's babysitter correct?"