chapter seventeen

"funny. if i didn't know he was such a prick, i'd say he looks almost adorable in his sleep."

i chuckled at diego's comment, peering down at the sleeping number five.

"don't worry." i snickered, "he'll sober up eventually."

"can't wait that long." diego shook his head. we need to find out what his connection is to these lunatics before someone else dies."

i pursed my lips, "hazel and cha cha work for his former employer."

luther and diego stared at me strangely.

"what?" luther tilted his head, squinting at me.

"it's confusing as hell. i can't explain it all to you. not until he wakes up. just know, they're after him for betraying the organization he was involved with."

diego sighed, pacing around the small boiler room.

"that doesn't make any sense." he mumbled, shaking his head.

"all that stuff he was saying before... what did he mean by it?" luther asked, staring at me intently.

before i could reply, the sound of footsteps rang from above us.

luther and diego glanced at each other, nodding.

luther motioned me to hide behind a dresser, to which i complied.

diego inched his way up the stairs, drawing his knife out.

he cautiously opened the door, raising his knife, about to aim-

"you throw another one of those god damn knifes at me, i'm pressing charges."

i resisted the urge to laugh as i raised myself from my hiding place, staring in amusement as diego rolled his eyes at the sound of the older man.

"what do you want, al?" diego asked, irritated.

al made his way inside the room, "i  ain't your secretary." he grumbled, "some lady called for you. said she needs your help."

diego made his way back down to us, placing his knife back.

"what lady?"

"i don't know. some uh- detective? i think she said her name was blotch or something." al replied, leaning against the railing.

"patch." diego corrected. al nodded in confirmation.

"she needs my help." he whispered, immediately turning around, running up the stairs.

"she needs you to meet her at that motel. that dump at calhoun."

al hands a small slip of paper to diego.

"when?"

"about a half an hour ago. said she found your brother."

al walks out, leaving diego in confusion.

diego's eyes land on five's sleeping figure.

"well that's doesn't make sense." he muttered, looking back up at luther and i.

he sends luther a knowing look.

"klaus."

diego runs out of the room, quickly shutting the door behind him.

"go! i'll wait with..."

luther turns around, his gaze landing on the sleeping five, me right beside him, nodding off as i began to feel tired.

"these two."