Forty Nine: Roses

Florian

The young Oak Soldier, soon-to-be Stone Prince, watched as Jimin's casket was carried down the long aisle of the funeral. Solemn and downcast were the faces of the many people who attended the ceremony, including Florian's. It took everything in him not to break down and cry in front of everybody there, but he needed to keep his cool. 

He was going to be the next Stone Prince, after all. His induction would occur later that day.

He needed to stay strong.  

Florian pinched his hand, willing away the tears that were threatening to spill out of his eyes. When he caught sight of the Oak Prince, and the Laurel Prince, who was going to hand over the Laurel title to his sister at the double induction ceremony, he just about fell to his knees. 

The Oak Prince and Laurel Prince were at the end of the aisle, not bothering to hide their crying. The Laurel Prince was sitting bandaged up in a wheeling chair with several servants by his side, probably to help him move around. The Oak Prince was holding tightly to the blonde's hand, sniffling as he quietly watched the casket move towards them. Florian didn't want to assume anything, but it was pretty obvious to him that those princes were more than just colleagues. 

Florian would meet them officially during the induction ceremony later...at the funeral they didn't bother to try and find him. The tall boy would also meet the next Laurel Princess Eonjin at that ceremony, which he was curious about. 

Would he get along with her? Would the Oak Prince like those two as his counterparts to rule over Noirwood?

Florian didn't know, and it made him quite nervous.  After looking up to the royalty for so long, he was now going to be a part of it. He knew he wasn't ready nor prepared to suddenly accept such a position so high up in Noirwood, but since Jimin recommended him for it...

Florian would accept it. The boy vowed to train hard, rule fairly, and show the world that the Stone Banner was worthy of admiration. Deep within the boy's bones, he needed to prove his value and worth to the world to avenge Jimin's sacrifice in the war. 

But for now, all he could do was watch as the two original princes lost their third wheel. How a darkness covered their features as the open casket was set in front of them. How their eyes stuck to the neatly dressed person in the casket, getting a last look at the gray-haired male's features before they never could again.

Jimin was dressed in an all-gray suit, a deep maroon-colored rose peeking out of his breast pocket. Jimin's face was calm; he even looked a bit happy, his lips curled up slightly. Florian bowed his head at seeing his commander so still, laying there. Such a powerful swordsman...putting down hundreds of enemies in his lifetime, creating a long-lasting legacy that Florian would have to live up to as the Stone Prince. 

He would do his best. 

Close to his spot on the side of the aisle, a girl was sobbing quite loudly. She was around his age, reaching out towards the casket and calling out Jimin by his first name. 

Jimin must've been close with her...he was a really nice person who probably helped her out. 

Some rose petals flitted past Florian's serious face, blowing gently towards Jimin's casket as if they were supporting him even in death. The petals dusted the floor by the casket, creating a beautiful red carpet of maroon that stood out against the glimmering silver of the coffin. 

"Jimin," Florian whispered to himself as the cover was set gently on top of the old Stone Prince, covering his body up once and for all, "I will do my best as the new Stone Prince...I promise."