Four: Laurel and Oak

Oak Prince

Jungkook sat in his study on a leather armchair by the window, writing frantically in his journal. Prince Jeon kept very detailed, careful notes of everything he did, from his daily activities to what he was hoping to accomplish for the future. Sometimes, he showered the empty pages with random sketches of invention ideas or intellectual doodles. At the moment, Jungkook was writing down everything he could remember about that night... as there was no existing entry for the day where everything went horribly wrong about two weeks ago. 

The thoughts came to him randomly, in confused bouts of memory:

June 24

-I traveled outside of the castle without an escort...

-Lots of drinking

-No familiar faces

-I felt anger, sadness...why was I angry?

-My father was mentioned...I think...?

-Blood? Did I hurt someone? Did someone hurt me?

-Home...? How did I get home? Perhaps a member of my court came and picked me up...?

Jungkook put the pen down, upset at himself for not remembering anything more about that strange night. How had he completely ruined the pact? He was not one to go out and party, yet somehow he found himself at one...

That night...something happened that night. Something bad. Why can't I remember?

Interrupting him from his thoughts, a servant knocked on the oaken doors of the study.

"Come in." Jungkook stared down at his notebook, not bothering to look up. 

The wiry servant soon entered, mouth drawn in a miffed line. He walked over to the spaced out Prince Jeon and opened his mouth to speak. Jungkook jumped in his spot at the sudden voice of the servant.

"Sir, an unknown visitor is pulling into the drive right now. It's a black carriage...one of the rarer ones. Do you want me to send them away or should I send them in?" 

"Huh? A rarer carriage, you say?" Prince Jeon stood up from his seat with a quizzical look plastered across his handsome features. He rushed over to the open the window he was nearest to and leaned far out. His sturdy torso pressed against the window sill, sharp eyes scanning the front of the castle grounds. 

Very quickly, he spotted the not-easy-to-miss escort of about 20 sword-bearing knights on majestic horses, galloping gracefully down the drive. The prominent lead carriage was a deep jet black and very ornate; this was no definitely no casual visitor...perhaps it was one of the countrymen who had found out the news between him and his uncle?

Whoever it is, the guest's escorts all seem to move with urgency. Jungkook became worried, tucking his lower lip into anxious teeth. Had something happened?

"Please ask our guest to come into my study at once. And ask one of the kitchen staff members to prepare some tea as well." Jungkook nervously paced over to his journal which he closed and placed under the cushion he was seated on. No way was he going to have this guest peruse his deepest thoughts.

Several minutes passed and no one had entered his room. The Oak Prince ran his hand through his black locks. flustered. 

The waiting game...the worst kind of game...Jungkook wrung his hands out--why was he so, so worried? He walked over to a mirror hanging delicately on the side wall and stared deeply into his dark eyes. To him, his widened eyes and lip-biting habit plainly revealed his worry. He hoped this visitor wasn't good at reading others, else he might seem guilty. Am I guilty?