Six: The Ballroom

Laurel Prince

Jungkook sat across from Taehyung, obviously desperate to hear the story that Taehyung was about to tell. Jungkook's knee bounced viciously with anticipation and he hardly blinked. One of his ringless hands tapped the cap of his knee, jittering with subtle nerves. Taehyung noticed all of these things about the younger prince who wasn't even trying to hide his long stares at Taehyung any longer. It was only a matter of time before he started looking at me like how he was doing at the party. 

Taehyung couldn't believe that this man, this prince--was the same person as that special party guest. The same guest who caught his eye off the bat...the same guest who gladly followed Taehyung to his chamber later that same night.

"Taehyung." 

The Laurel Prince blinked a few times, knocking the memory from his head. "I'm sorry, I just don't really know how to explain this all...it's kind of...complicated. It would be much easier if you recalled the night."

"Well, I don't remember. Now go on with the story." Jungkook demanded as he sat back and watched the older prince closely. Taehyung could feel the younger prince's eyes burning into his skin, demanding answers he was hesitant to give. Jungkook lifted an accusational brow, leaning forward in impatience. For once in his life, Taehyung felt very uncomfortable with the act of talking to another person. 

"Well...a few weeks ago, I held a party like I do a couple of times a week--you know, you've probably heard of my parties...and...I saw you there." Taehyung licked his lips, stretching his neck out. Jungkook did not blink. "Only...I did not know who you were at first. In fact, I didn't know you were the Oak Prince until right now. But I guess, with the attitude you displayed at my party--it makes a lot of sense."

Jungkook brushed this comment off with a wave of the hand. "Okay, I get that much. What I really want to know is...what was I doing--where did I go, and how did you see me? What did you mean before when you said you caused me to forget?" Jungkook forced out several questions into Taehyung's face, not even pausing for air. His eyes held an anxiety that made Taehyung a bit squirmish in his seat. Why is the Oak Prince so worried about that night and not remembering?

"Okay...okay. I'll tell you the whole story." Putting aside any embarrassment he felt at telling Jungkook the story about their first real meeting,  Taehyung opened his soft pink lips and eloquently told the story of the night of June 24th. 

~

It was around 6:00 P.M. on the warm summer night of June 24th when Taehyung began ordering the servants around to prepare for one of his elaborate parties. Taehyung stood watching from the balcony overlooking the massive main hall as his servants prepared various cuisines and set them atop a long table against the side wall. Hundreds of wine glasses were being filled with the richest wine in the entire kingdom, the deeply rustic Laurel wine that was so prized. Furniture was given spritzes with dainty fragrance oils, and many paid entertainers were busy organizing their instruments in the corner to prepare for the songs they were going to play later that night. Servants milled about in haste, dusting off every decoration in sight, polishing and repolishing the shining marble floors. Candles were lined and lit, illuminating the grand hallway that led into the main hall. Servants rushed to make sure the chandeliers were brilliant with jewels and radiating brightly before they were hoisted up. Delectable smells wafted throughout Taehyung's many rooms and music rang brightly in the summer air, audible from the outside of the castle doors.

Beautiful. Taehyung thought as he stood there, watching over the proceedings. He never failed to admire the process that went into each one of his parties, and it never grew old to watch his servants sweat their asses off to beautify the large castle. So marvelous.