Forty Seven: The Three Bannermen

Swords clashing filled the air of the Oak battle field, resonating around the land with metallic clinks and clanks.  Soldier fought soldier, man killed man...yet, the banners of Stone, Oak, and Laurel still rose high above their heads. As the fight pushed on, three bannermen proudly waved the three banners, houses, and symbols that Noirwood stood for with prized dignity. Although two of the three princes had lost their castles, their banners still existed to represent the three princes' contribution to the battle that was occurring. 

Stone. Laurel. Oak. 

The Stone Banner, that was rather mysterious...cunning even, flew proudly in the wind, the gray of its symbol representing simplicity at heart, yet devilish power. The image of a mountain in a haze of mist with several rock formations sitting delicately underneath it stood out on the flag. 

The Laurel Banner, which was rather elegant, flew in the middle, complementing the other two on its sides. This golden banner featured a lion-headed cane in the center with a laurel wrapped tightly around it. Several glimmering decals shone as the wind pushed the banner to and fro. Victory, wealth, and power characterized this banner. 

Finally, the Oak Banner, the largest one there. It stood waving proudly on the side, promoting wisdom, care, and curiosity. The healthy sized Oak Tree on it fanned out across the flag, standing for inclusion and tolerance of all people in Noirwood. This bannerman had a set look on his face as he held the pole up, features set in an expression of confidence. 

Next to these three bannermen were servants, milling about the roof quickly as they monitored the finale of the war taking place down below. 

High atop the Oak Castle, one servant in particular stood watching the battle play out underneath him with watchful eyes. From his standpoint, the fight taking place was easily the Oak Castle's to win...Jihoon's men were being decimated by the intricate formations and sword skills of the Oak Soldiers. 

However, the servant felt an uneasy pit somewhere in his gut. Perhaps it was because he could see that not everyone was winning on the battlefield--innocent young men dying for a cause they had no real part in. Their loyalty on the field was the only thing driving them...they fought knowing that by winning the war they could protect their loved ones from Jihoon's awful grasp. 

But not all of them would be alive to see their family. 

The servant sighed, eyes scanning the field for any sign of the three princes. 

The battlefield was piled high with corpses, gas masks, and the few remaining barbarians of the north, but the servant could not pick out the Laurel or Stone Prince anywhere. 

Strange...

He stepped to the side of the outer wall, eyes roaming the edges of the battlefield, up the steps of the Oak Castle, until his eyes fell upon...

Oh. 

The clouds in the sky broke open all the way then, the sun blasting its brightly golden strands onto the men he watched near the statue. A bright glimpse of sunlight made him turn his head away, the luminosity too intense to handle. A sword was responsible for the reflection, the flat edge that wasn't buried in someone twinkling against the rays of sun. 

The man frowned as sunlight bathed the land with its orange hue, sun setting lower in the west. Misplaced was how he would put the sudden glow of light--such a hopeful and beautiful sunset contrasting with the scene below him. Feeling a need to respect the fallen prince below him, the servant knelt, folding his hands onto the ground and placing his head on them. 

"Stone Prince..." the servant closed his eyes, his heart downcast. 

"May you rest in peace."